Overwhelmed!!

cccott3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking to buy a new camera and I am having the hardest time making a decision. I Have been taking pictures and comparing back and forth between my canon rebel xs and my sisters nikon D3000. I was hoping by doing this i would be sold on one brand or the other...buy im not. So i am somewhere in between a Nikon D7000 and a Canon 60D. I know I could keep my rebel and buy new lenses but I really want to upgrade from my entry level to a mid level. What do you all think?

cccott3 said:
between a Nikon D7000 and a Canon 60D.

The Nikon D7000 is the class-leading performer, with a superb new sensor, and superb new electronics and noise suppression. The Canon 60D is the dumbing-down of the D60-10D-20D-30D-40D-50D- six-model Canon d-slr line...it's the Canon branch of evolution that went BACKWARDs, and toward the monkey lineage....excuse me, back toward the Rebel lineage...

This is like picking between a Kia and a low-end BMW...

I slightly disagree with above having read many reviews of both and all come up with a different answer. The 60D didn't continue with the normal xxd line and this has been discussed to death. But no one can argue that the 60D isn't an excellent mid level camera, albeit with a few downgrades from the 50d (MA being the main one always talked about and a slightly slower burst rate). Having said that the quality of photo it takes is excellent and if independaent reviewers say the 60D is better, and others think the D7000 is better, you would probably be splitting hairs to see a real difference. You already have canon lenses so it would be logical to stay with canon. You may go with nikon, change all your gear and next upgrade you will prefer a canon again, it doesn't really make a lot of financial sense to jump to much.<br>The canon/nikon "war" will always be going, and why not, it is a bit of humour once its not taken to personal. Some prefer the 60D some the D7000 and some pick a make and say they are the best no matter what. This is a general statement and not aimed at anyone in particular

So if I did upgrade with canon would it make more sense to to 50D?

I have 50D and a 550d.The 60d has same focus system as 50d, and the 60d has same sensor as the 550d. I personally think the 550d takes better pictures than the 50d (and thats not to say the 50d doesnt take great photos) so even though the 50d is more in line with the original the xxd line up given a choice I would go for the 60d

I'm quite happy with the 60D, but I'd suggest a comparison between the 60D and the 50D, as they each have their advantages. The D7000 does have the best in class sensor, but it's not the best by a very wide margin. Ultimately I think it's most important to choose the brand you enjoy using, and who's ergonomics you best understand. The 50D, 60D, and D7000 are all excellent cameras, each slightly better than the others in various specialized areas. You really won't go wrong with any of them. To compare the 60D to the Rebels is quite an exaggeration. Canon has divided the line with the release of the 7D, so certain higher end features were not carried through to the 60D, in an attempt to keep it's cost down, lower than the 50D even.

Where does the Canon 7D fit in? Should I look into that one as well?

The 7D fits in a couple to a few hundred dollars more expensive. The D7000 has some benefits over it and the 7D has some benefits over the D7000, but the 60D is not in the same class as the 7D -
the 7D is a better machine. If you can afford the 7D, yes, you should look into that one as well. What lenses do you have? If you're not real advanced you may be better served by going with a 60D and investing the difference in cost in some good glass. These are just opinions based off research into Canon before I stuck with Nikon and bought a D7000.

I slightly disagree with above having read many reviews of both and all come up with a different answer. The 60D didn't continue with the normal xxd line and this has been discussed to death. But no one can argue that the 60D isn't an excellent mid level camera, albeit with a few downgrades from the 50d (MA being the main one always talked about and a slightly slower burst rate). Having said that the quality of photo it takes is excellent and if independaent reviewers say the 60D is better, and others think the D7000 is better, you would probably be splitting hairs to see a real difference. You already have canon lenses so it would be logical to stay with canon. You may go with nikon, change all your gear and next upgrade you will prefer a canon again, it doesn't really make a lot of financial sense to jump to much.<br>The canon/nikon "war" will always be going, and why not, it is a bit of humour once its not taken to personal. Some prefer the 60D some the D7000 and some pick a make and say they are the best no matter what. This is a general statement and not aimed at anyone in particular

My point was exactly that: the 60D did NOT continue with its lineage, and is instead a step downward, more toward the Rebel bodies and the Rebel customer segment. The 60D is a placeholder, and appears almost a dead-end. The D7000 is designed as a very competent machine, designed to fill a need. Canon's 60D is like the fat girl and the prom....somebody will take her...the D7000 is like a cheerleader...everybody wants to take her...

The 60D is an older-generation sensor and electronics; Canon is behind a full generation with both the 7D and 60D, compared to the new Sony-made sensor that Pentax and Nikon are using now in their very-newest serious amateur bodies. The newer sensor has MUCH, much better noise removal capabilities than anything Canon has. Canon has been caught flat-footed, chasing megapixel counts, meanwhile Sony and Nikon and Pentax have been pouring more money into making better cameras, and not working on making better printers, and better photocopiers...there are times when being an **imaging company** rather than an electronics and office products giant pays real dividends...this happens to be one of those time periods.

My point was exactly that: the 60D did NOT continue with its lineage, and is instead a step downward, more toward the Rebel bodies and the Rebel customer segment. The 60D is a placeholder, and appears almost a dead-end. The D7000 is designed as a very competent machine, designed to fill a need. Canon's 60D is like the fat girl and the prom....somebody will take her...the D7000 is like a cheerleader...everybody wants to take her...

The 60D is an older-generation sensor and electronics; Canon is behind a full generation with both the 7D and 60D, compared to the new Sony-made sensor that Pentax and Nikon are using now in their very-newest serious amateur bodies. The newer sensor has MUCH, much better noise removal capabilities than anything Canon has. Canon has been caught flat-footed, chasing megapixel counts, meanwhile Sony and Nikon and Pentax have been pouring more money into making better cameras, and not working on making better printers, and better photocopiers...there are times when being an **imaging company** rather than an electronics and office products giant pays real dividends...this happens to be one of those time periods.

Hahaha, I dunno how you manage to do it Derrel, but your posts are always amazingly entertaining reads. You have an artful way of putting things into words!

Back to the question, ccott I hope you realise asking this question in here will make your life alot more difficult? You will now have people using Nikon saying buy the Nikon and people using Canon saying buy the Canon which adds to the confusion.

But Derrel is right in what he is saying, Nikon employs a better sensor than the 60D has and also feels much nicer to hold and use than the Canon 60D with better build quality and layout (Just my opinion anyway). Thats not to say the 60D isnt a great camera, because it is. (Most DSLR's are pretty great nowadays)

The most important question... is... which is easier to use and which feels better in your hands? That is the crucial question in reality. To be honest, you won't regret your decision either way.

My recommendation though is to get the Nikon... just simply because the 'KIT' lenses for Nikon are better than the Canon equivalents, you can get a 18-55 VR which has decent image quality for a starter lens for next to nothing or a 35mm 1.8 for that matter!!

In reply to this^^.I had thought when I wrote the reply above that it would seem like a shot at your post due your obvious like for nikon. It actually wasn't as I have seen from some posts you wrote that you use others as well so your comparisons are from experience.
I wonder though is your undercutting of canon here the right way to go. I am not sure if the OP is a pro photographer or is it just a hobby. Have you used both a d7000 and a 60d side by side, and if so do you think that the quality difference justifies a complete kit sell off from one brand to another? This may be more relevant for someone who doesn't make money from photography. I personally dont think there is a simple which is better answer. If someone was starting out I would recommend trying all brands but when invested in a system I wouldn't, and I see this forum as a helpline. I ask questions and people help out and vice versa. From this logic I would recommend someone spends money to upgrade one item and improve their kit at a relatively small outlay than completely change everything, especially here when side by side reviews are so so close.

I am stiilll undecisive at this time but hopefully I will be able to make a decision soon because I have pretty much already sold mine an my sisters camera (she runs a pawn shop and the nikon came in brand new and she picked it up for basically nothing and prefers her point and shoot so she gave me her camera). I know it may seem crazy to switch from brands but I feel like if I am ever going to now would be better than later. The only reason im cosidering it is because of the amazing things I have read about the Nikon D7000. Im pretty much between the Nikon D7000, the Canon 50D or the Canon 7D. I guess now I just have to figure out what I want to spend. I am NOT a pro and probably never will be but I would mind do pics on the side in the future for family and friends. WAY in the future ....still so much to learn :) Thank you all so much for your advise/opinions I truely appreciate it.

jaomul. Yes, I have some Canon equipment, and 4 years with Canon. I have a lot more Nikon equipment... 1982 to 2011 with Nikon.

Now, your post has one obvious hypothetical, which is the assertion "that if the results are close", there's little incentive to make any change. Unfortunately, in my book, the Nikon kicks the Canon's a$$ where it counts the MOST. The Nikon has two and a half f/stops better a dynamic range score, which is without a doubt the most-advantageous metric to improve upon with any digital capture system. And two and one half f/stops is a HUGE improvement...the Canon is limping along with the best of the rest of its older generation of sensors and electronics, at 11.5 stops. The Nikon D7000, which is a full generation newer in both sensor and noise reduction/suppression technology, is reading a 13.9 f/stop dynamic range. A difference of two and four tenths better. Each f/stop involves a doubling over the one prior...two f/stops is eight times more light...so...

HIGH-ISO performance....those low-light situations like kids' birthday parties, BBQ's at dusk, indoor sports events... Nikon's score is 1167...Canon is at 813...once again, the Canon is getting its A$$ kicked under the difficult lighting situations, which, with consumer-speed lenses, means, well, the Canon is at yet another disadvantage. While on-line reviews that need to please advertisers might show the cameras with "close" performance, I do not consider the actual, cold, impartial capability measurements to be "close". Far from it, in fact. Especially on the two most-critical performance metrics: dynamic range, and High-ISO performance. Hey, ANY automobile is fine at 20 to 40 MPH in town...when you get to a difficult,twisty mountain road, an economy-level is Kia going to come up short against a Mercedes...

There *was* a time when Canon was the undisputed better performer in image sensor technology,and Canon people crowed about Canon's "lead" all over the photographic world. Well, that time has passed Canon by. The Sony/Nikon and Sony/Pentax consortium has focused on improving image sensor performance, while Canon has devoted its resources to trying to catch up to things like in-body flash command systems, and color-aware light metering...well over a decade behind Nikon.

original.jpg

Last edited:
I don't see any reason not to switch if that's what she wants to do. Unless I missed something it isn't like she's heavily invested in Canon lenses.

Ok last question ... Say I go with the nikon d7000 and get "good" glass and master the camera. If I did want to do pics for family and friends later could I get good enough result to charge for pics?

Most reactions

Back