P&S for a semi-pro photog?

JDP

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.pavleck.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I'm trying to find a good P&S to be my constant buddy. The main beef I'm having with the ones I've found is the AF system is terrible, and setting it in manual isn't much better - I'm curious as to what others use?

I used to just always carry my SLR, but once I started upgrading, it got a little to much. And it's not as easy to sneak into a show as a P&S.

My main concerns would be low-light shooting, snappy AF, and full manual controls. I'd also love a movie mode as well. And a rechargeable Li-Ion battery would be swell too.

It doesn't need to be ultra-modern either, an older version would work fine - I'm not going to be using it for print work, mainly for placing things on the web. Thanks guys.

JDP

The Canon G series have always seemed to be at the upper end of the 'digi-cam' spectrum.

Ah thank you! The G9 looks quite nice actually. It seems smaller then the higher end Nikon P&S, which is what I'm aiming at.

The Canon G series have always seemed to be at the upper end of the 'digi-cam' spectrum.

Off the top of my head...a dedicated hot-shoe and RAW capabilities are a couple of the high points.

G9 looks about $500, that's totally acceptable to me. I was thinking the G6 too, but that IS on the G9 looks promising.

Nikon SLR, Canon P&S, for some reason that's how I roll *shrug*

I've only looked at and held the G9, but I loved every bit of it. The only drawback I could see for you is that you probably wont take advantage of the TTL hot shoe being a Nikon shooter, than again I most P&S situations a dedicated external flash just makes things to cumbersome anyway, defeating the convenience of a point and shoot.
Ryan

I see press photographers on a regular basis, and one of them regularly has a Canon G9 hanging around his neck next to his 1D.

Most reactions

Back