Paddling home

Grandpa Ron

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Racing the sunset after my 12th "last cast"; few things can top a day of paddling/fishing.

Canoe coming 2 bw.JPG

I'm not a canooer but do fish and as you say a good day at it is hard to beat. Did you catch much?

I'm not a canooer but do fish and as you say a good day at it is hard to beat. Did you catch much?

You should get a kayak or a small canoe, something manageable. You could get to and into places you normally couldn't just fishing off the land and increase your catch numbers.

That's a great pic, love it. I'm going out on the kayak today, myself. I may pat a gator or two on the head. :nevreness:

Kayaks make a great fishing crafts but my canoe was purchased for wilderness canoe trips with the kids and grandkids. We needed cargo capacity

The grandkids were all canoeing and camping before their 1st birthday, we went every other year for almost 20 years. They started by being carried or holding our hand white we portages packs and canoes and ended by hauling the gear while Grandma and Grandpa carried paddles and fishing rods.

I have caught lots of fish and of course have also been skunked but I like to paddle, so it is never a loss. I have not tried the new sit-on kayaks, but at my age, getting up with my butt below my knees is not going to happen. I told my wife, that is why they put a thwart in front of the canoe seat. :)

Caleb and Grandma.jpg
Caleb and Grandma

Nice scene. I use my kayak to get some pics from the water. You wouldn't believe how much closer you can get to eagles and such on the water. For some reason they aren't as skittish ( in my experience, anyway ).

Nice scene. I use my kayak to get some pics from the water. You wouldn't believe how much closer you can get to eagles and such on the water. For some reason they aren't as skittish ( in my experience, anyway ).

Agreed, while out on my kayak today I got within 12 feet of a night heron. I almost didn't see it, it sitting on a branch in the mangroves it blended in. I thought for sure it would spook but it sat there as I back paddled and got real close for some shots. The thing didn't even flinch. I'm going to review and edit them right now.

I have a Tarpon 120 sit-on that works great for me. I use it for fishing and photo'ing. And when they were smaller I could sit one of the grandkids right in front of me. It's easy to get in and out of, once my legs start working again after being in one position for an hour or two.

I have a Tarpon 120 sit-on that works great for me. I use it for fishing and photo'ing. And when they were smaller I could sit one of the grandkids right in front of me. It's easy to get in and out of, once my legs start working again after being in one position for an hour or two.

Understood, If I don't use a particular technique to get in and the same technique, reversed, to get out I sound 40 years older than what I am with all the groaning, grunting and gasping.

Reactions: PJM
With roto-molded sit-on Kayaks coming down in price, I am temped to try one.

I especially like the idea of on the water photography.

Nice pic. I've been kayaking/canoeing for years, spend most of my summer in one or the other. I don't fish, but I enjoy river touring and the local lakes. Some of my best pics were taken from a boat.

Kayaks make a great fishing crafts but my canoe was purchased for wilderness canoe trips with the kids and grandkids. We needed cargo capacity

I had a 16' cedar and fiberglass. It was the love of my life.
Steve Thomas

Most reactions

Back