Paige

Pretty girl. Lighting and processing on the hair and face looks good. Maybe just a tad hot on chin and tip of the nose. It's not overly bad but I might tone map her left arm and chest to bring down the red in those areas. Not a fan of the pose or background. The pose IMO doesn't have a feminine vibe to it and seems strange. The window coming out of her head is distracting as are the dark lines on the building on the left.

Last edited:
I much prefer the the second shot, pose and background to the first. Only a few little things, the way she's leaning, and the fluting on the columns, makes it look like she's leaning hard. Lighter contact with the column, or a different contact point might have been better. Also her right hand is clenched, coupled with the frown makes it look as if you really made her mad. Maybe I'm overly sensitive because I've seen that look on DW's face so many times over the last 40 years, and what follows usually isn't pleasant for me. :aiwebs_016: Of the two photos, I prefer the pretty smile in the first.

in the second shot her expression just kills it for me, and I mean kills it in the bad way. I am not overly fond of the first photo, although the lighting is very good on her eyes. In the first photo her skin tone looks a slight bit yellow to me. Overall I don't I think this is one of your better sets.

in the second shot her expression just kills it for me, and I mean kills it in the bad way. I am not overly fond of the first photo, although the lighting is very good on her eyes. In the first photo her skin tone looks a slight bit yellow to me. Overall I don't I think this is one of your better sets.
I have a few questions for ya.

Thanks for the honest feedback. I have some questions..
One I hated the dress but.. I didn't want to be rude in any way. Should I have said something?
Also, I had the hardest time getting light in her eyes. the ONLY time I could get a catch light was if she didn't smile. I will post some more examples when i get back home. But when she smiled her eyes would not catch any light.

Much better, though I'm starting to share your thoughts on the dress. It really isn't doing much for her.

In the first hand on the wall looks clubby and would have been nice to have her look just a bit to the right or left. In the second she looks mad. In the third the reversed hand on the architecture looks weird. The dress is fine in my opinion.

The last shot here is the best, overall. I think you're doing well with your lighting, it's even and soft. Very nice.

Telling a model her dress is terrible can't be easy - it's a shame she picked that thing. She's a pretty girl, with a terrific smile, but this kind of strapless design is one that looks bad on even the most polished of models. How many times did you see her tugging on it? ;) That, coupled with some awkward position of arms or hands, made this shoot less successful than it could have been. It's on you to help out with posing when you know it looks off - but the poor choice of dress is on her.

That said, if she loves the dress she's likely to be very happy with that third shot. Great smile, and her hair is gorgeous.

Just my two cents. :)

Terri has said very well most of what I am thinking. Yes indeed, your third shot is the best of the three. The lighting is good, and her eyes have plenty of sparkle, her smile looks genuine and unforced, and her hair does look fantastic.

I am not sure why you would not get catchlights in her eyes when she was smiling, unless of course she tends to squint her eyelids when she smiles

The third one is the best. I think the dress is an issue as well but the pose in the third one helps. The lighting is good as well as well as the expression.

Just a few thoughts. It looks warm/yellowish on my pc, which is calibrated. The focus on the face seems to be off just a tiny bit. Your portraits are usually much sharper. The strapless dress is the current fashion among my 16 year old and her friends. It would be better if not black. It loses most of its shape because of the color, imo. Don't worry this dress trend will soon pass... I don't take a ton or portraits but occasionally I will for a family member or friend and I always tell them in advance - don't wear white or black (unless that's a specific look we're going for).

Most reactions

Back