Painting with light - Experimental

RyanMTaylor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So these shots aren't exactly perfectly composed but I wanted to see if you guys could give me any ideas that you get that spark from these photos.

In each of them I hit my shutter release switch and ran up with a halogen flashlight and tried different methods of "painting" it on the subject. Not sure where the idea came from but I'm new to this whole photography thing and I wanted to try something really new.

Word to the wise: It's exhausting hahah. Anyways, here goes nothing. Don't be gentle by any means but also keep in mind that they are all very experimental. The main purpose I am posting these is so that people can get ideas for trying something new(myself included).

IMG_1995.jpg
treeBeforeAndAfter.jpg
IMG_1952.jpg
and this one is really terrible for me but I had to use it because my face is in it and it looks SUPER creepy. hah

The first one is pretty interesting, nice work. The third is definitely a bit creepy with the floating face. The second doesn't do much for me, it's not nearly noticeable enough, the first would be my choice.

Thanks. :) I actually don't think any of them are too great. It's just kinda the idea that I wanted to expand upon and see if we can come up with some ideas that are a little more interesting or at least make some sense, compositionally(sp?).

My brother does a lot of this kind of pictures. I'll see if I can snag some from him to show you. It's fun to mess with pics like that. I did one about a month ago with three ghost images of myself. It is a lot of work to perfect though, since exposures can be quite long. I'm still playing with it myself.

Ok, here's a few I've dug up. They are some of his older ones, but still kinda cool.
0322-0012.jpg

0322-0030.jpg

0354-0154.jpg

And the one I took. . .
DSC01772.jpg

i've messed around with light painting before. it's pretty fun

2976823835_65939313f1.jpg

Awesome. I like that a lot. The gears are turning already. :) Is light painting actually what people call it? I just kinda called it that because that's what it looks like.

Here are a few I did. The first two from a series I shot about the true nature of disney characters. And the last was just for poops and giggles. None of them are great, just found them interesting...

TheTrueFaceofPooh_0405.jpg

TheTrueFaceofPooh_0411.jpg

p1lp_0182.jpg

Cool stuff again. I really like your sig quote too. One of my faves. However you may want to check back at your spelling. I believe it's "Einstein". :)

Sorry, but why don't you show up in the picture (i.e.: the first one)? Since you ran over there and painted with the flashlight, shouldn't some portion show up in the picture?

- Alex

Sorry, but why don't you show up in the picture (i.e.: the first one)? Since you ran over there and painted with the flashlight, shouldn't some portion show up in the picture?

- Alex

if there was no ambient light falling on him as he ran around, he would not show up in the picture

if there was no ambient light falling on him as he ran around, he would not show up in the picture

Incorrect; I'm magic.

Hah but for real, I tried to keep the light very isolated so it didn't fall on me. No ambient light(like goodoneian said) = invisiRyan

Does anyone have any really off the wall ideas that you could do with this, or even something different but still playing with a long shutter time?

Last edited:
Cool stuff again. I really like your sig quote too. One of my faves. However you may want to check back at your spelling. I believe it's "Einstein". :)

Wow, thanks. Now thats just dumb on my part... eh... I'm over it.

Any whooo... Something i've been trying to get together is a organized effort by about 20 people to spell out various phrases over the span of about a 200yd city scape... Eh, just something I'm gona try.

You may also consider trying out some double exposures.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back