Painting With Light

bburton

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
brucemburton.blogspot.com
Probably a number of you are familiar with the technique of "painting with light." I had never tried it and wanted to experiment.

Basically here's what I did: set the camera on a tripod; turned out all the lights; opened the camera's shutter; used a small flashlight and passed the beam repeatedly over the subject while counting "one Mississippi (or so);" closed the camera's shutter; and this light painting is the result. :D

By the way, this "painting" is of a ceramic flower.

7206-LightPainting.jpg

DestinDave said:
What was the total exposure time? Did you flick the light on and off as you moved it about?
Thanks. The EXIF data says: only 1 second at f8 but I think the time was a tad longer. I probably made three quick passes in that time. It was a very weak pen light. I should have gone for a longer time and flicking the light off and on as I had several over exposures before I got the timing right. I'll try that next time. :thumbup:

Cool! I like that idea. If i had the money for a DSLR, I'd be all over that technique right now.

binglemybongle said:
Is this only possible with a DSLR? Not with film?

You could do it with a film camera no problem, but it's not as quick (or cheap) to see where you've gone wrong and adjust.

Rob

Most reactions

Back