Panasonic Announces its G100 Compact M4:3 ILC

VidThreeNorth

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Pansonic has announced its compact, light weight G100 mirrorless ILC which features a 20.3 mp 4:3 sensor and M4:3 lens mount. Including Panasonic's 12-32 f/3.5-5.6 Asph Mega OIS lens, it will be available at the end of July at $749.00 USD. The body does not have IBIS, but claims 5-axis hybrid IS based on in-lens optical + electronic stabilizaion. Among other video features it includes Panasonic's V-LogL Picture Style. 4K video recording is limited to 70 min w/EVF or 80 min using the back screen.

"Panasonic G100 Review",
by Willaim Brawley for Imaging-resource.com, Jun 24 ,2020
"Panasonic G100 Review"

Looking at the G100 as a "vlogging camera", these days vlogging is associated with walking around with the camera pointed at your face. From what I have seen, in the few that I watch at all, this is not really done that much. Mostly, a camera is set in a room and pointed at the vlogger -- at a distance. So really, the Sony ZV-1 and this G100 are usable out-of-the-box. But then again so were a number of pre-existing cameras. Sony's "Product Focus" is fairly special, and it helps, but it is not that necessary. Some cameras tended to focus on the "nearest" object anyway. And really a "spot focus" will do well enough too.

The real advance that these cameras can point to is the "special" sound recording capability. And here, the Sony cameras have had special processing to reduce ambient noise, for years now. My Sony a5000 does this. So do most of the Sony Handycam camcorders. My very cheap Sony CX240 has "zoom" sound that varies the response pattern based on the zoom lens focal length. Panasonic's ability to "follow" the subject left and right in the screen is theoretically new, but that is mainly just the characteristic of stereo mic pickup, except for when the subject goes behind the camera, and I don't know how they got that to work. But again, my Sony a5000 essentially will cover that possibility anyway.

I think both companies could take another look at lenses. I think the a5000/a5100 and the a6x00 series bodies would benefit from inexpensive lenses wider than "24mm equivalent" lenses. They do not have to be zooms. Panasonic could try for 11mm or 10mm (equivalent to 22mm or 20mm on Full Frame) at around F2.4. Sony could try for 14mm (equivalent to 21mm on Full Frame) at around F2.8 for APS-C. These would not be like the excellent Pro quality lenses, but something like "pancake" lenses. That would cover the "I - need - to - be - seen" crowd.

I always appreciate reading your thoughts about cameras and equipment.

That looks like a really nice camera. Maybe one day they will be go pro size. I need it safe for when I fall off the ground. It really is a beautiful camera. =]

If its anything like other Panasonics I have owned it will be a very capable camera...

I always appreciate reading your thoughts about cameras and equipment.

Thanks Derrel! Lately the industry has been doing things that I have been particularly interested in -- the video stuff. Otherwise, I would not have had as much to write about it.

Most reactions

Back