Panasonic Lumix DMC-SZ1

Genot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Has anyone any ideas why this fault occurred, and HOW I can avoid it again.

I purchased this camera from a local shop in August 2012. When I came back from holiday in Sept 2014, I noticed a dark mark on some of my photos. I thought not to worry I can edit them and it will remove the marks. No, it didn't, I took the camera back to the shop who said I had got dirt in the lens!! How, they couldn't say. Too expensive to clean.
I thought I would see how it went. This year in May 2015, the same mark was there BUT in Sept 2015 there were more marks. Does anyone know how this can happen, bearing in mind I have had different cameras for well over over 50years and never experienced this before.
I am now wondering which make of camera to replace it. My budget would be from £150 to £200.
I have been very pleased with the pictures it has produced, colour etc. The features on this camera have been excellent, photo through glass, the zoom feature etc.
Help, thank you.

Last edited:
You could take a look at the Panasonic TZ70 or it's predecessor the TZ60.
Good travel zooms. They are a little above £200, but worth the price.
The Nikon Coolpix S9900 isn't bad, but has no EVF, like the Panasonics.
Rudi

Thanks for that information, I have edited my thread, as I just realised I hadn't made my self clear, have you any idea how this dirt got in, OR how I could avoid it happening again.
PS What is EVF?

It's hard to tell. What were the conditions you used the camera in?

EVF is an electronic viewfinder, as opposed to an OVF, wich is an
optical viewfinder. The latter you find on most DSLRs.
Rudi

Thank you for your quick reply. Mostly I take scenery. flowers, buildings etc. We take beach holidays abroad. I have been capturing the waves and surf, probably I stand two metres or more from the edge of the sea. So I have been standing waiting for the best wave, probably with the view finder open!! Any advice.
I would be interested to know what you think.
I think I am satisfied with the ones I have taken over the years, so I am turning to cloudscapes.

It is probably not dirt in the lens, because that would not show up as a spot. More than likely it is a spot on the sensor. Some cameras have accumulated spots of oil on the sensor from the manufacturing process. Try to find someone who can safely and expertly clean the sensor.

What do you mean with, "view finder open"? The SZ1 has no viewfinder and the screen is fixed.
Perhaps a water and dust resistant camera, is something for you.
Rudi

What I meant was, I had the camera open with the Zoom on!!

It is probably not dirt in the lens, because that would not show up as a spot. More than likely it is a spot on the sensor. Some cameras have accumulated spots of oil on the sensor from the manufacturing process. Try to find someone who can safely and expertly clean the sensor.
Would this have happened after a couple of year?

Would this have happened after a couple of year?
Maybe. I'm not even positive it is something on the sensor, but I'm reasonably sure it is not anything inside the lens because it appears as a spot. It might be worth taking this camera to a repair facility.

Find a local camera repair shop.
Who has actually repaired cameras.
Take along a sample photograph to show the repair person.
Get a price (or estimate) before leaving the camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back