Panasonic Lumix GH2 Starter Tips Needed!

You're not crazy, I was thinking the same thing, but didn't want to suggest it for budget reasons. You're right, the GH3 would solve your shutter noise challenge, and it is a better performer in low light, so it will allow you to shoot at higher shutter speeds and reduce blur. I still love my GH2, but upgraded from the GH2 to the GH3 because it is a much better still and video camera right out of the box.

If you can find a GH3 for $1298 and a $160 Sigma 19mm f2.8 lens (I would stay away from the 14-42, it is not a very good lens), you will have the best still/video hybrid camera on the market today for not much more than the GH2 costs with the 14-140.

All the Best,

Bill

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
While I still love the versatility of my 14-140mm lens, if I had to redo it I'd only buy the GH2 body with a prime lens (I think I would have took the 25mm f/1.4). But I didn't... :)

While I still love the versatility of my 14-140mm lens, if I had to redo it I'd only buy the GH2 body with a prime lens (I think I would have took the 25mm f/1.4). But I didn't... :)

I agree with this 100 percent.

Thanks Balinus for your advice. :)

You're not crazy, I was thinking the same thing, but didn't want to suggest it for budget reasons. You're right, the GH3 would solve your shutter noise challenge, and it is a better performer in low light, so it will allow you to shoot at higher shutter speeds and reduce blur. I still love my GH2, but upgraded from the GH2 to the GH3 because it is a much better still and video camera right out of the box.

If you can find a GH3 for $1298 and a $160 Sigma 19mm f2.8 lens (I would stay away from the 14-42, it is not a very good lens), you will have the best still/video hybrid camera on the market today for not much more than the GH2 costs with the 14-140.

All the Best,

Bill

Oooh am not? Good news lool... You know I am already above this budget and I rather even return the GH2 now and wait couple months till it drops a bit in price if it would (one scenario), than stay withe the GH2 and regret in a couple of months. This is how I thought of this.

Aha, so you did upgrade to the GH3? How are you liking it? Please details. U keeping the other baby as backup? Is there anything I would regret (not financially) if I do this step I suggested? I mean as far as you know: I won't hold you accountable and believe me I am asking more than one person at the moment! :)

"If you can find a GH3 for $1298 and a $160 Sigma 19mm f2.8 lens (I would stay away from the 14-42, it is not a very good lens), you will have the best still/video hybrid camera on the market today for not much more than the GH2 costs with the 14-140."

Brunerww, regarding lenses, what is the major advantage of the one you suggested? It was recommended to me to get the 25mm F1.4 or 45mm F1.8 (if for portraits) and the olympus 12mm F2.0 or 7-14mm (if for landscapes). Which of all of these would suit my initial purposes (mini doc/interview with minor landscape/outdoor) and budget more you think?

...Aha, so you did upgrade to the GH3? How are you liking it? Please details. U keeping the other baby as backup? Is there anything I would regret (not financially) if I do this step I suggested? I mean as far as you know: I won't hold you accountable and believe me I am asking more than one person at the moment! :)

I did upgrade. And I have to thank you for giving me the incentive to finally unbox the GH3! I have been too busy to shoot the unboxing video until you asked me whether I liked the camera :)

So I just shot the unboxing video and here's the new baby, alongside the old GH2 (shot with the GH1):

$P1010678.JPG

My initial impression is of a solidly built camera, not a lot bigger or heavier than the GH2.

I will give you an initial shot report as soon as I can charge the battery, put the card in it and take it outside.

...regarding lenses, what is the major advantage of the one you suggested? It was recommended to me to get the 25mm F1.4 or 45mm F1.8 (if for portraits) and the olympus 12mm F2.0 or 7-14mm (if for landscapes). Which of all of these would suit my initial purposes (mini doc/interview with minor landscape/outdoor) and budget more you think?

All of these are very good lenses - but expensive. I recommended the Sigma 19mm f2.8 because it is a very good wide angle lens for not a lot of money. For the same price, the Sigma 30mm f2.8 is even better from the results I have seen, but I recommended the 19mm first because wider lenses are more flexible, in my view.

Thanks again for giving me the incentive to finally get the GH3 out of its box! Now I have an unboxing video to edit - maybe I can get it done before the GH5 comes out :)

Best,

Bill

Initial shot report, GH3:

You can read a lot about the quality of the stills and video from this camera. I haven't tested video yet, but JPEG stills are definitely better than the GH2's, straight out of the camera (with the same lens).

And the wi-fi link to phones and tablets is very cool. It allows you to adjust exposure, white balance and focus remotely (with system lenses). There are lots of uses for this - from remote photography to self-portraits.

Contrary to reports elsewhere, the viewfinder is no better than the GH2's, but it's no worse either. The LCD is much better, though.

The electronic shutter is silent, and works at all resolutions - but (and I haven't seen this anywhere else, including the printed manual*) the flash stops working when the electronic shutter is on. I guess Panasonic figured we didn't need both a stealthy shutter and a flash at the same time :(

In addition to turning the electronic shutter on, you have to go to the Setup/Beep menu and turn the artificial shutter (and focus confirmation beep) off. Once you do that, the camera is absolutely silent with the exception of autofocus noise - and with the 14-140, there isn't any :)

More reports and sample pictures soon.

Bill

* EDIT: Now that I know what to look for, there are several blog posts on this. No big deal, if I need flash, I will turn the mechanical shutter back on.

Last edited:
...Aha, so you did upgrade to the GH3? How are you liking it? Please details. U keeping the other baby as backup? Is there anything I would regret (not financially) if I do this step I suggested? I mean as far as you know: I won't hold you accountable and believe me I am asking more than one person at the moment! :)

I did upgrade. And I have to thank you for giving me the incentive to finally unbox the GH3! I have been too busy to shoot the unboxing video until you asked me whether I liked the camera :)

So I just shot the unboxing video and here's the new baby, alongside the old GH2 (shot with the GH1):

View attachment 33898

My initial impression is of a solidly built camera, not a lot bigger or heavier than the GH2.

I will give you an initial shot report as soon as I can charge the battery, put the card in it and take it outside.

...regarding lenses, what is the major advantage of the one you suggested? It was recommended to me to get the 25mm F1.4 or 45mm F1.8 (if for portraits) and the olympus 12mm F2.0 or 7-14mm (if for landscapes). Which of all of these would suit my initial purposes (mini doc/interview with minor landscape/outdoor) and budget more you think?

All of these are very good lenses - but expensive. I recommended the Sigma 19mm f2.8 because it is a very good wide angle lens for not a lot of money. For the same price, the Sigma 30mm f2.8 is even better from the results I have seen, but I recommended the 19mm first because wider lenses are more flexible, in my view.

Thanks again for giving me the incentive to finally get the GH3 out of its box! Now I have an unboxing video to edit - maybe I can get it done before the GH5 comes out :)

Best,

Bill

Wow, amazing, looking forward to seeing the edited video soon ;).... You are welcome for the incentive. I cannot wait to open new things, how did you manage to wait! :)

Thanks for the info about the lenses.

Initial shot report, GH3:

You can read a lot about the quality of the stills and video from this camera. I haven't tested video yet, but JPEG stills are definitely better than the GH2's, straight out of the camera (with the same lens).

And the wi-fi link to phones and tablets is very cool. It allows you to adjust exposure, white balance and focus remotely (with system lenses). There are lots of uses for this - from remote photography to self-portraits.

Contrary to reports elsewhere, the viewfinder is no better than the GH2's, but it's no worse either. The LCD is much better, though.

The electronic shutter is silent, and works at all resolutions - but (and I haven't seen this anywhere else, including the printed manual*) the flash stops working when the electronic shutter is on. I guess Panasonic figured we didn't need both a stealthy shutter and a flash at the same time :(

In addition to turning the electronic shutter on, you have to go to the Setup/Beep menu and turn the artificial shutter (and focus confirmation beep) off. Once you do that, the camera is absolutely silent with the exception of autofocus noise - and with the 14-140, there isn't any :)

More reports and sample pictures soon.

Bill

* EDIT: Now that I know what to look for, there are several blog posts on this. No big deal, if I need flash, I will turn the mechanical shutter back on.

Brunerww, this is a very good initial report. Again, looking forward to your video and still hands-on feedback :)
You are right, there is lots already about the GH3 but not as much as the GH2, obviously, online... This is kind of worrying me a bit. Like buying a brand new car before you hear what others who used for long will say :( .. I know it's simpler here. How bad could anything that could be discovered in 6 months from now be regarding the GH3?! I read somewhere in the comments here:

[video=vimeo;54325211]https://vimeo.com/54325211[/video]

the following: "The GH3 looks cleaner in higher ISO's with less croma noise. But the GH3 also crops a step more because it don't has a multi aspect sensor. That's not so nice". Others talked about the hacks (GH2 has good ones GH3 not yet) but I no speak of that I know nothing about (yet) :)

All in all, I feel convinced of returning the GH2 and grabbing the GH3, if not for anything, for (1) the silent shutter, (2) better stills as out of the box (according to more than one review already), (3) bigger size and steadier grip (I have small hands but could not feel comfortable with the GH2's ergonomics especially with the 140 lens mounted on, (4) of course, I love the WiFi with my iPad! (5) better screen, (6) microphone no need for adopter, (7) more buttons and 2 wheels for controls, (8) longer battery life (and I am still not over the fact that the store sent me the battery separately and it does die quick compared to what I read others say).

I am going to the exchange today! :lol: + :confused: = ???? But still going today!

Edit: My only worry I want a lens asap so I don't regret upping the body and not affording the glass (bad scenario). After coming back from the store and placing the order on the GH3 which will take a bout a week (coming from another province), I will order the lens you suggested online. I will research its sources more now.

Edit 2: Does the Sigma 19mm/f.2.8 function as a system lens? Would I loose AF or things like that as opposed if I used a Lumix lens?

Last edited:
Yohoooo! I returned the GH2 and placed order on the GH3 body only. They will get it from BC (Richmond) probably during this coming week :smileys:

Now I am lens-less looool What should I do? I need advice and answers to my questions up (will summarize again):

What is a cheap starter lens for me in the range of 100-250 maximum that would work with the GH3 and not loose features like AF and produce good quality images and (mainly) indoor/interview videos? :mrgreen:

Brunerww, you suggested the segma 19 mm but I just want to make sure it works wit the features mentioned? And, if not, would a cheap Canon lens or other brand from my local store be produce good quality? Is all what I will loose the AF?

Someone suggested this from another forum:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/913512-REG/sigma_19mm_f_2_8_ex_dn.html

How about the Panasonic 14-45 or the 12-45? (is it same as the one you said to stay away from 14-42?) I actually read good reviews of the 14-45.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/657970-REG/Panasonic_H_FS014045_Lumix_G_Vario_14.html

For non-Panasonic ones, I need a mount adopter, right?

Frankly, if I don't loose a lot and no need for mount/adopter the sigma 19 mm for 139$ is the best for me.

Last edited:
Edit 2: Does the Sigma 19mm/f.2.8 function as a system lens? Would I loose AF or things like that as opposed if I used a Lumix lens?

Yes.. its a native AF lens for micro 4/3.

Warning... not all native AF lenses work well with video. Some have motors that are not silent enough and often picked up in audio.

Four Thirds | Four Thirds | Micro Four Thirds | Chart(Lenses)

Btw... more manufacturers have joined the consortum recently:

OLYMPUS | News Release: Blackmagic Design, JK Imaging, PHOTRON, SVS-VISTEK and ViewPLUS join the Micro Four Thirds Group

Two of the ones mentioned are known for lenses intended for video.

Yes.. its a native AF lens for micro 4/3.

Warning... not all native AF lenses work well with video. Some have motors that are not silent enough and often picked up in audio.

Four Thirds | Four Thirds | Micro Four Thirds | Chart(Lenses)

Btw... more manufacturers have joined the consortum recently:

OLYMPUS | News Release: Blackmagic Design, JK Imaging, PHOTRON, SVS-VISTEK and ViewPLUS join the Micro Four Thirds Group

Two of the ones mentioned are known for lenses intended for video.

Usayit, thank you so much for this informative reply and links. What about the Panasonic 14-45? Would you recommend this one for video (and stills but mainly video) indoors?

What is a cheap starter lens for me in the range of 100-250 maximum that would work with the GH3 and not loose features like AF and produce good quality images and (mainly) indoor/interview videos? :mrgreen:

Is there a kit lens with the GH3? The current kit lens, 14-45mm (not to be confused with the 14-42), is well liked among many Panasonic shooters with many claiming it to be one of the best kit lens of any format. I can't vouch for it as I don't have one. Sure you can find one used somewhere. I see many video shooters working with adapted manual lenses (vintage) since they are damped properly for smooth control. Micro 4/3 lends itself to being easily adapted to many different lenses of most about any type of mount. Of course, no AF. Additional issues with Canon EOS lenses (or any other electronic aperture lens), because you have no control over aperture.

Most reactions

Back