Pandemic Cooking: About Your Day Job . . . .

VidThreeNorth

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
[2020-06-23 02:16 When I made this topic I thought it would be wider than just cooking, but it just turned out this way. I have changed the title to reflect this.]

Matt Granger learning how to cook -- no, really. :)

"Homecooked Lamb Shanks - Quarantine Cooking!",
Posted Apr 28, 2020 by "Matt Granger", [8:14]
""

Last edited:
Matt Granger and almost every single person on social media. The number of people that now think they’re professional chefs has risen exponentially.

He does not think that he's a "professional chef". On the contrary, he is making it clear that he is learning a new skill. This is about the journey of life and growth -- even when you are old. Well, ok, I'm probably older than him, but that's the point. This is the flip side of "social media". On the one hand he is an expert at photography and passes on what he knows. On the other hand, he is not a "chef" at all, but is bringing us along on the new journey.

I did not grow up eating lamb. My father almost banned it from the house. He did grow up partly on a farm and he hated lamb because it was smelly. I guess he did not learn that you hang it outside to "cure". My mother started to cook lamb chops "for a change", I think, when I was around 18. My dad was surprised that it didn't stink. Personally, I liked it well enough, especially with mint jelly, but I didn't think it was wonderful. When I was in my 20's I found a place that sold shawarma made with lamb cuts, which is apparently common in the middle east. Mainly, in Toronto, shawarma is pork or chicken, which I guess is "fake westernized shawarma". That was really good. Then later when I was around 45ish, I found "lamb shanks" long cooked in a tomato sauce, and I really enjoyed that. But no matter what, I still would say that any kind of lamb is a novelty for me.

And then there was Matt's characteristic honesty. He overcooked it. He didn't pull any punches about that. He's still a photographer and not a cook. He did make it look nice when he plated it. :)

My comment was a little more tongue in cheek than I’ve probably let on. :)

The whole idea of learning new things has kept me occupied well before this current situation. Testing ones' self will give you appreciation for those that make things look easy. I know on this forum alone, the different niches of photography people give examples of make me in awe of their abilities.

This is another "not - a - cook" loose in a kitchen. Well not exactly a kitchen, but close enough. Singer, song-writer, actress Lee Jieun ("IU") is widely known to not be a cook. She is not a complete mess in a kitchen, but having been on the run for over twelve years now, she has probably forgotten whatever she knew, and it shows. For the last month now, she has been posting a series of short (10 - 15 min) clips to stay in touch with her fan base. Each show is different, and is based on what her fans want her to do:

"IU's Homebody signal] IU’s rattle-rattle cooking class "

This is the first time I have seen an "air fryer".

Air fryer....relatively new as cooking appliances go...

I took a look at air fryers. "Convection Ovens" have been around for a long time. One of my aunts had a full size one. She was a really good cook and did a lot of baking. I never thought about whether a small, cheap version would become available. Funny how that is actually a fairly obvious idea, but I guess it finally happened. But I think I'll stick with my microwave and a regular stove. Actually I don't cook often at all now.

The "egg bread" looks like a good idea, if you cook it long enough. Tim Horton's or McD. could make them. I'd try it. . . .

I quite enjoy it, but I'm a bit of a foodie anyway. I cook a lot from scratch, most nights of the week. I really like BBQ, and have got an american style offset smoker out the back that can take 24kg of meat. I've been known to do full pork shoulders (on the bone) though I really need to refine my packer cut brisket. Our cuts are different in the UK, so getting these requires a good butcher or special order online. In the UK the term BBQ is often used in restaurants meaning cooked with BBQ sauce, rather than cooked on charcoal which is disapointing.

I cook a lot of Italian food, tonight was caprese salad with basil oil followed by pan fried pork loin with spagetti in a peperonata sauce. Fresh Scottish strawberries and ice cream for dessert.

Air fryer....relatively new as cooking appliances go...

I took a look at air fryers. "Convection Ovens" have been around for a long time. One of my aunts had a full size one. She was a really good cook and did a lot of baking. I never thought about whether a small, cheap version would become available. Funny how that is actually a fairly obvious idea, but I guess it finally happened. But I think I'll stick with my microwave and a regular stove. Actually I don't cook often at all now.

The "egg bread" looks like a good idea, if you cook it long enough. Tim Horton's or McD. could make them. I'd try it. . . .

About 1.5 years ago I got a Cuisinart countertop combo toaster/convection oven and air fryer. Love it! The air fryer basket can hold a dozen chicken wings or a couple of steaks and the convection oven is great for small batches of cookies or brownies. It’s also much more convenient than turning on the big oven if we just want to reheat some leftovers without that microwave sogginess.

We'll be over as soon as the lockdown order is lifted....expecting great chicken wings and of course, chocolate chip/macadamia nut cookies....and plenty of beverage choices.

About kitchen appliances, I am thinking about buying a "crock-pot" now. But it is not to do cooking. The rules for condominiums requires that heating is turned off and air conditioning is turned on at specific transitions of weather. Every year, the heat is shut off and the air conditioner turned on, and then the weather changes again, and I end up freezing for some nights. I expect that some people probably get sick because of this. So what I was thinking is that rather than buy a "space heater", I think a "crock-pot" might be more appropriate. First, because it should not really take that much heat to make up the difference for a few nights, and putting some water in the crock-pot would keep the air a bit less dry -- a double win.

And maybe some time during the rest of the year, I might use it to heat some food. Actually, not likely, but maybe. . . .

I found a crock-pot I liked, but it was only available from Walmart "online". It was the Toastmaster 2 quart. But it was so cheap that the shipping was prohibitive unless I bought something else with it. But I could not find anything I wanted. So I left it till now. My condo is getting too cold for me, so I thought about buying it again. Eventually, I went to the local store and found a 4 quart Hamilton Beach. It cost more and it was big, but I thought I would put up with it. Anyway, I tried it last night and it worked well enough, but I really don't like it. It is bigger than I need for the job it is doing, and it is too big for any cooking that I might want to try. The 2 quart really is more practical. I could use it to heat canned stew -- I can imagine some of you guys groaning "canned stew?" :) Well, as I said, I'm not a cook. . . . But even a 2 quart would be big for that job. I'll have to make my mind up soon about this. . . .

Most reactions

Back