Panning Practice

your shutter speed may be too long.
However, I think your biggest problem is you just don't have the technique down.
Pan with the subject...and snap the picture while panning...and follow through.

Here is some panning for you. Super fast cars, shot at not so superfast speeds.
magrove-46.jpg

and

magrove-47.jpg

My suggestion is to anticipate the speed of your subject, start to follow the subject with camera framed around them, then start shooting. Again, find subject, get up to speed with subject, open shutter. Repeat.

your shutter speed may be too long.
However, I think your biggest problem is you just don't have the technique down.
Pan with the subject...and snap the picture while panning...and follow through.

#3 is what most people miss. Don't stop when you snap, keep moving along with the subject at the same speed the whole time.

Get set, follow, follow, snap, keep following, chimp the photo. :lmao:

Also you can use a monopod and just rotate on the line that the subject will take.

Your first photo you stopped, that's why the background is blurred with a stronger image at the end. If you keep panning, the background will be one continuous blur or streak.

I think you did fine, because it doesn't look like you had anything in the way of bright lighting. Tough conditions. Keep trying. You'll get some that are a mess and some that are OK and some that are perfect. It's all about matching the speed and being smooth.

Most reactions

Back