Panning

foxensly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey everyone, I'm brand new here, and relatively new to photography.

I'd like to know where some good resources are for learning about panning (and digital photography if it makes a difference).

I hate to say right now my equipment is very limited, so I can't do all that much with specific exposure or shutter speed...just what is allowed on my camera, which is a Kodak EasyShareC743. Embarrassing I know.

Could you help me out here?

I don't know about that specific camera but most of those types of cameras are bad for shutter lag. Meaning that it takes too long when you press the button before the camera actually take the image. This makes things like action photography and panning, hard to do.

You could still try it. The important thing to remember that you should pan with the moving object and snap the image when it passes in front of you. Continue the panning motion all the way across in one smooth motion.

most of the shutter lag in these cameras is also a result of focusing. pick a spot you know the object will come past and half depress the shutter. This locks the focus and sometimes the exposure too. Then recompose and wait for the car with the button still halfway pressed down. It will be impossible to try and autofocus on say a race car on the way past with a standard consumer camera

most of the shutter lag in these cameras is also a result of focusing. pick a spot you know the object will come past and half depress the shutter. This locks the focus and sometimes the exposure too. Then recompose and wait for the car with the button still halfway pressed down. It will be impossible to try and autofocus on say a race car on the way past with a standard consumer camera

What he said. Here's the way I used to do it with a pocket camera (aka point and shoot) when I'm not carrying a SLR.

For foxensly:

1) Pick a spot where the subject will be moving through.
2) Aim at that spot and push the shutter release half way down. (camera focuses and sets exposure)
3) With the shutter held half way, go to where the car is coming from, follow the subject until it reaches the point you chose, then click.
4) Keep tracking and following the subject as it passes the point. Many people make the mistake of stopping the flow of the pan, when they click, and this can have negative effects. Follow Through!

Alternate additional advise. Sometimes the background will be different than when the subject is in the picture, so you'll get "crappy" exposures. Aim and point at something about the same distance as you are going to be shooting and let the camera set for that.

For a passing race car, the track is often bright or reflective, but the car is going to need more exposure. I point at the grass at the edge of the track. Maybe point at a tire wall, or some bushes, which tells the camera to open up more. I pick some point that's approximately the same distance, to set your exposure.

All you are doing is setting the exposure and focus distance, before your moving subject crossed the point you will click, while panning.

A point and shoot is too slow for panning, while the exposure and focus point is constantly changing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back