panoramic photo technique question

burstintoflame81

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
When taking several photos to stitch together, is it usually better to take all photos from the same point, just at different angles away from that point, essentially creating what a fisheye lense would see, or is it better to strafe slightly to the side to get the same forward angle? Does it matter? Might be a dumb question. Thanks.

For a flat field in the panoramic. It's best to be from the same point. Tripod and the camera level would be best option / better stitching.

Deppending on the software, you do several different effects from there.

What benhasajeep said. One thing that will really help making the taking and putting together a panorama is a panorama head of some kind. Most are pretty pricey, but there are several DIY head designs that can be done for cheap. The main point of a panorama head is keeping the nodal point of the lens centered over the piviot point of the tripod.
It's Easy To Take And Make A Panoramic Photo
8 Guidelines To Taking Panoramic Photos With Any Camera
panoguide: Shooting the pictures

http://photocritic.org/diy-panoramic-tripod-head/
http://www.diyphotography.net/diy_the_panorama_head_el_cheapo

Unless you're doing close up work a pan head is sufficient.

Level is real important, overlap your shots 10-20% either manually or if your camera has a panorama feature use that. Basically it superimposes lines on the back screen that you can use to line up your shots.

I found the Oly program requires you to rotate images shot in portrait mode before you can stitch them. PITA

Downloaded the free Autostitch and used that, very nice little program.

Cheers, Don

Where I usually do panoramas I can't use a tripod. I cannot hold the camera perfectly level all the way across. I find that if I shoot in portrait orientation and shoot more photos it leaves me more room to crop the jagged top and bottom.

Thanks for the advice guys. i will try with a tripod and see how my results are.

Consider shooting two or even three rows of images for a larger final product.

I haven't tried stitching rows with Autostitch but I know Hugin can do it, it's free also.

Cheers, Don

Most reactions

New Topics

Back