Recent image transfer, using acrylic gel medium

terri

Administrator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Disclaimer: the image I used isn't mine - my son took it last month, when he took his 2 year old on a nature hike and he toddled along the lake shore. I thought it was cute, so I wanted to do something with it for them.

I first painted an 8x10 canvas with raw umber acrylic paint. Over that, I glued a sheet of the alphabet from a book of scrapbook ephemera I have. I tore the edges to give it a deckled look, then went around the edges with Distress Ink for some color.

At that stage, it looked like this:

Jacob, wip 3.jpg

Then I created the gel medium transfer. Just used a plain copy paper printout of the photo with my laser printer. Using gel medium, I painted over the image several times, built up several layers, changing directions while brushing the stuff on. I ended up with 8 layers of gel over the image. I let it dry overnight and, after soaking the whole thing to soften the "stuck on" copy paper, I rubbed it all off until what was left was the image, now embedded in the dried acrylic gel medium skin. It's quite translucent, transparent really. It looked like this:

Jacob, gel medium IT 1.jpg

The acrylic gel becomes very strong after drying - floppy but tough. Another view to show how thin it is:

Jacob, gel medium IT 2.jpg

At that stage you still see the brush marks from the foam brush I used. No matter - that side becomes the bottom, since I reversed the image before printing. I trimmed off the majority of it, because I just wanted the little figure. Before I glued it onto the canvas, I glued down a small sheet of tissue paper to get some wrinkles and texture in there. Then on top of that I glued down the figure.

I've been wanting to learn to make inexpensive little frames for smaller canvases like this. I bought a miter box and saw, measured short ends first, then long, and nailed them all together. I used cheap lattice molding and had it cut into 5-ft strips. I sanded down the edges and should probably have spackled too, to hide my less than perfect edges.

Jacob pic frame.jpg

Next time, maybe. I painted the frame the same raw umber, 3 easy coats. Finished piece:

Jacob pic view in frame.jpg

Note that you can make out the alphabet letters through the lighter parts of the clothing, the M also shows through the jacket. I positioned his face between the rows to keep it clear. ;) All done - will mail it out to them tomorrow. Thanks for looking!

Great. Yet another hobby to try that will drive MLW absolutely nuts. :biglaugh:

Great. Yet another hobby to try that will drive MLW absolutely nuts. :biglaugh:
Oh, you can't fool me - something tells me you already know your way around a miter box. ;) And doing the transfer is nice, quiet painting with gel. Easy peasy!

@terri Great write-up and final result. One question I didn't understand what you used to glue the image on. Did you coat the back of the image with gel Or something else?

Last edited:
Thank you, Smoke! :) Yes - more gel medium. I brushed some directly on the canvas in the general area I planned to place the figure. I also quickly added some around the edges on the back of the figure itself to help ensure the seal.

That stuff dries quickly, so I wanted to have enough medium on there to be able to slide it around a bit for precise positioning (don't always have to do that but it mattered in this case). Then I covered the figure with waxed paper and used a brayer.

Once it was firmly in place, I dabbed more around the edges, too. Wiped off residual with a damp paper towel.

I haven't used a miterbox in years. I can probably get by with the table or band saw!

I can see MLW's face when I go buy a couple gallons of gel medium.

Nice. What product did you use?
Thanks! :) Golden Soft gel matte to glue the figure onto the canvas. To make the gel skin for the transfer, I used Golden Heavy Gel Gloss.

This came out so good! They will love it I’m sure.

Thanks, Sharon! :) Mailed it off yesterday, with no advance warning, so it will hopefully be a pleasant surprise. And I'll be showing these how-to pictures again! :lol:

Creative and great job all around! I like how you placed him on the sheet with his face clear of the letters.

Thank you, Scotty! :heartpump:

Cheryl, thank you! :) Yes, as much as I loved the transparency, it did mean I had to pay attention to the placement to make sure there wasn't elaborate lettering showing through that cute little face. :lol: It will be easier with other projects, I hope!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back