Panoramic photography

mazen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,
I have been thinking for the last two years about going film cameras. I Do landscape mainly, and I have been using DSLR cameras ( Canon). I have always wanted to do panoramic photography with a camera like Linhof or fuji, and I have been saving the money in the last two years and I will be able to get a camera within one year.
I have always asked myself, Is it really worth what I am doing? I answered yes, since this is the thing I wanna do and I want to turn it in business.
Anyway, since I have this plan in my mind, I want to familiarize myself with film photography. But I have zero knowledge about this area. So
1-is there any source where I can learn more about film photography ?
2- What is the range of shutter speed on those panoramic cameras like linhof technorama 617s iii?, and does it depend on the body or the lens?.
3- How can I control the shutter speed, and aperture? Is the controlling done through the lens itself?
4- When I develop a color film, can I scan the negative to my computer and get the picture and print it?,
5-what is a type of good scanner and how much does it cost?
6- I know when I buy a body like linhof or fuji I need basically a lens, center filter, and a case. What else?
7- Whats a light meter, How can I use it, and Is it essential in this type of photography?.

Thank You
Mazen

Hello,
I have been thinking for the last two years about going film cameras. I Do landscape mainly, and I have been using DSLR cameras ( Canon). I have always wanted to do panoramic photography with a camera like Linhof or fuji, and I have been saving the money in the last two years and I will be able to get a camera within one year.
I have always asked myself, Is it really worth what I am doing? I answered yes, since this is the thing I wanna do and I want to turn it in business.
Anyway, since I have this plan in my mind, I want to familiarize myself with film photography. But I have zero knowledge about this area. So
1-is there any source where I can learn more about film photography ?

Many sources. Where you would begin depends a little on what you know about photography in general. It might be worth getting a cheap, high quality manual 35 mm camera to learn the basics instead of starting on 6x17, which can be an expensive way to learn.

2- What is the range of shutter speed on those panoramic cameras like linhof technorama 617s iii?, and does it depend on the body or the lens?.

It depends on the lens. The 72 and the 90 have speeds from 1 s to 1/500 s, plus B and T as standard. The longer lenses have 1 s to 1/400 s plus B and T as standard. They are mechanical shutters (you could swap them for electronic ones if you wished, I guess) so there is no limit to the time they can be held open on B or T.

3- How can I control the shutter speed, and aperture? Is the controlling done through the lens itself?

The lenses have shutter units that include apertures. They are controlled directly on the lens itself - on the shutter unit. The shutter/aperture units are common types, made by Copal in Japan.

4- When I develop a color film, can I scan the negative to my computer and get the picture and print it?,

Yes. Get a computer that can handle very large image files (1 GB and up, if you want good quality).

5-what is a type of good scanner and how much does it cost?

This depends on the quality you want. Have you chosen a film panoramic camera because you want very high quality? You could use an Epson V-700 or V-750 but these aren't the highest quality. Very good value for money, however. Plustek are supposed to be introducing a new scanner for 120 soon-ish that will scan 6x17. They have said that it will be better than the Nikon 9000 (which will only scan up to 6x9 in one pass). No price yet, but it may be $2000 to $3500 at a wild guess. If it ever does come to market with the promised price and performance it will be ideal for you. Otherwise there are Imacon scanners for about $6000 used, drum scanners (price varies a lot) and high end flatbeds ($5000 to $10,000 used, refurbished).

6- I know when I buy a body like linhof or fuji I need basically a lens, center filter, and a case. What else?

A viewfinder to suit the lens, probably a good tripod, a light meter. The shift back would be nice to have, but not essential for landscape photography..

7- Whats a light meter, How can I use it, and Is it essential in this type of photography?.

Thank You
Mazen

A light meter measures the amount of light so you can set your exposure (the camera has no light meter). You should be able to use your DSLR as a fancy light meter, but it is probably worth learning how to use a normal light meter.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back