What's new

Panoroma of Mountains

oOIchOo

TPF Noob!
Joined
Nov 17, 2011
Messages
5
Reaction score
1
Location
Vancouver, BC
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Photo shot from Simon Fraser University. First panorama, please critique!

Also, how do people get their landscapes so clear and detailed?

It is the lens or the camera body?

Panorama View from SFU | Flickr - Photo Sharing!



*for some reason I can't directly upload the photo. Totally new to this, is there a size limit?
 
............Also, how do people get their landscapes so clear and detailed?

It is the lens or the camera body?...........

Yes and no. Gear is only part of the equation. The ability of the person using it is a large factor, as well as knowledge used in post.

*for some reason I can't directly upload the photo. Totally new to this, is there a size limit?

Click here.
 
This is a nice scene. I wish the buildings weren't there.... I suppose you didn't have a wrecking ball did you? :D

There are several things you need to do to assure the sharpest image.

#1 Tripod (Not all tripods are equal)
#2 Remote or Self-Timer
#3 Mirror Lock-up (I don't think Xti has this, so just avoid using shutter speeds between 1/25 and 1/8 (different for different cameras, but it's generally worse in that range).
#4 Sharpest aperture for the lens you are using. (Compromise may be necessary between sharpest aperture and best aperture for desired depth of field. DoF takes precedent in my opinion, at least for landscape shots.)
#5 Avoid using the extreme focal lengths if using a zoom. Using a prime is usually best.
#6 Fix Chromatic Abberation if present in raw convertor.
#7 Sharpen in post, being careful not to go too far.

I'm sure there are more that I missed.
 
Welcome to the forum.

I agree with the comments above. Good landscape photography has less to do with gear (camera & lens), and more to do with technique...both shooting technique and processing technique.
 
Thanks everyone! Very helpful comments. bazooka could you maybe explain mirror lock-up? I've never heard the term before.

PS Big Mike, I'm a HUGE Edmonton's fan!

6431138027_167a71d0a9.jpg
 
a little bit of post can go a long way! (says OK to edit!)

snow1.jpg
 
wow that's amazing, I've never really done much with my photos aside from brightness and contrast adjustments lol
 
wow that's amazing, I've never really done much with my photos aside from brightness and contrast adjustments lol

Be glad to try it on the original if you want me too.... pm me how to get it if you do! :)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom