Papa's got a brand new bag - and a new 5D Mark IV

BasilFawlty

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have been pining for a 5D Mark 4 since it first came out in 2016, but the price was just a bit more than I could justify ($3500 or there abouts). Then I started seeing refurbished 5D4s for around $2600 on the Canon store. Better, but still a bit more than I wanted to spend. Then they came out with the EOS R and I was very tempted to give up the dream of a 5D 4 and opt instead for the new lower-price R. But still I held out.

Then, just a few days before Christmas, I got an email from one of the "big" online camera stores - they were selling the 5D4 (new) with a Canon battery grip and a 64GB card for $1999. I could not resist that deal! The GAS pains were too intense and I ordered it a couple days before Christmas and it arrive on Christmas Eve! Perfect!

I also have a 7d Mark II and so the learning curve for the 5D was pretty short. I really think I'm going to love this camera!

Then, a few days ago I was looking at Craig's List and found a ThinkTank Retrospective 30 selling for $40! Turns out the guy lived just about a mile from my house. I went to his house to look at the bag and learned that he had bought it as a "lot" (I think an estate sale) but decided didn't need this bag. It is not a standard bag, it is one of the "Fro Knows Photo" (Jared Polin) versions with "I SHOOT RAW" on the front flap. The bag was brand new, never used (I looked at it very closely and it really did look like new). I still can't belive I got a new (or at least like new) ThinkTank Retro 30 bag for $40!

Every now and then you can snag some really good gear on Craigs List.

Last edited:
So do you plan to take clippers to the Fro-knows-photo bag, metaphorically speaking, to de-brand it a bit?

So do you plan to take clippers to the Fro-knows-photo bag, metaphorically speaking, to de-brand it a bit?

LOL! I kinda like the "I SHOOT RAW" on the main flp, but sure could do without the "Fro" on the side.

Most reactions

Back