Parking Garage Automotive Advice

lyonsroar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm planning a photoshoot this weekend in a parking garage with my 2009 Crystal White Pearl MazdaSpeed3.

I'm looking for advice shooting in low light conditions. It will be a twilight shoot. Some will be done up top in the natural light, and some will be done in the lower levels with halogen type lighting. I've never done a shoot in a garage before so I'm looking for general advice.

I will be shooting a lot of HDR images (that's what I'm into at this moment,) but I would also like some plain old single exposure pictures as well.

Advice anyone?
THANKS!

First and foremost, ensure you have permission. I'm assuming you won't be using additional lights, so you're going to have to be careful about the placement of the car with respect to existing light. Bring lots of reflectors (large pieces of white cardstock will work if you have nothing else), a polarizing filter control reflection, and a helper or two. Use large apertures to ensure shallow DoF and keep the car well away from the walls so that you avoid sharply focused, distracting backgrounds. Especially indoors, ensure you shoot a custom WB, or have a white/grey/black card in at least one image to calibrate your WB from.

First and foremost, ensure you have permission. I'm assuming you won't be using additional lights, so you're going to have to be careful about the placement of the car with respect to existing light. Bring lots of reflectors (large pieces of white cardstock will work if you have nothing else), a polarizing filter control reflection, and a helper or two. Use large apertures to ensure shallow DoF and keep the car well away from the walls so that you avoid sharply focused, distracting backgrounds. Especially indoors, ensure you shoot a custom WB, or have a white/grey/black card in at least one image to calibrate your WB from.

Thanks for the advice!

I have a ton of cardstock to use as reflectors. I don't have a polarizing filter, nor can my camera accomodate one unfortunately. I'm stuck with my up model P&S for a while. It does have aperture priotity, shutter speed priority, manual, and program modes though, so I do have some control.

By large apertures, you mean small f numbers right?

I don't have a polarizing filter, nor can my camera accomodate one unfortunately.

Sure it can!

Right, although remember, a physically smaller sensor is going to produce pictures with proportionally greater DoF at a given aperture for a particular focal length than a larger sensor.

I don't have a polarizing filter, nor can my camera accomodate one unfortunately.

Sure it can!

Right, although remember, a physically smaller sensor is going to produce pictures with proportionally greater DoF at a given aperture for a particular focal length than a larger sensor.

I had no idea those existed! AWESOME! I doubt I can get it here by Sunday though without paying through the nose for shipping...

Run that last part by me again? I'm still a newbie. :hug::

Most reactions

New Topics

Back