What's new

Parrots, the other white meat.

jstuedle

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Jun 30, 2005
Messages
4,889
Reaction score
18
Location
S.E. Indiana
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Sorry for the title, had to get your attention. :mrgreen: I noticed a few of us keep parrots, I saw Cory has a Blue & Glod Macaw. Anyone else? They make great photographic subjects and great companion pets. Here is Azulie, one of ours and a real ham.




For those who don't know, parrots are remarkable animals but high maintaince. Let's here from other parrot heads, er, a people.
 
Great photo!!

I love them; all I hear and see is how smart they are. I'd love to have one but I think I'd want to be home all the time to keep an eye out. :)

Great shot, too. :thumbup: Let's hear some more stories.
 
Thanks Hobbes. I thought it might turn into a bird keeping topic more than a photographic one, hence the placement.
 
"Polly want a cracker"

No, more like an arm, leg, toe, finger or other hang'y down things. Any body parts not needed or used at the time. Actually she is very gentle and will go to anyone that will give her attention. It's funny how most parrots think they are French. Each time they give you a kiss, they slip you the tongue.
 
Another of our feathered friends is Ricky, a Molucan Cockatoo. He loves ladies, mostly blonds. BTW, parrots are NOT color blind. To us both male and female of most species of parrot look the same. There coloring is identical to our eye. Some researchers believe that parrots can see more of the UV spectrum than we can and the there eye, they can spot coloration differences between male/female.


 
The pets eat the same foods we do, just keep the fat and salt to a minimum. There are several no-no's, but a varied diet moderatly high in protien and low in fat is a good start. Our breeders have a seed/pellet mix. The pellets are like a fruit flavored fortified kibble. The seed portion is sunflower, salflower, peanut in the shell and dried red pepper. The seed and pellet are mixed 50/50. I add about 8-10% a dried fruit and nut mix to the rest and it round out there diet.
 
Oh, no crackers. Except maybe as a treat. Too much salt.
 
Colors and detail is just fantastic !!!!


Steve :thumbup:
 
God that brings back memories... nasty macaws and their hurtsing the precious! (Sorry, long story with lots of macaws and their apparent distaste for me, unless it's my flesh!)


nice pic though. :) :lmao:
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom