part of what i do

bribrius

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
is I look at old photos, and retake them.
I realize we aren't normally supposed to post photos by others. But im really into historic photos and comparing them to the ones I take and thought a exception could be made due to its age. But this is my current project. it was taken circa 1900, havent even figured out who the photographer was. I know about where, but not exactly. im trying to pinpoint it, and take this same photo in 2014. To give you a extent of how much I try to narrow this down. im trying to get within fifty feet of where they were standing then or as close as I can. Going through photos up and down this river from the 1900's comparing to the ones I have now up and down it. Compared to some, this one should be easy to figure out, as it has a couple easily visible landmarks.
just sharing. Part of my hobby

View attachment 72911

If you keep them side by side, that's actually a really cool idea. I'm sure there's some really neat progress you can document that way.

If you keep them side by side, that's actually a really cool idea. I'm sure there's some really neat progress you can document that way.
that's kind of the idea, accept I haven't quite became that organized about it yet...
And im wondering if maybe in fifty or a hundred years someone else will do the same thing with my photos??

Print them, then donate them to a thrift store when you're old. Maybe someone will see them and be inspired to try exactly what you're talking about.

Print them, then donate them to a thrift store when you're old. Maybe someone will see them and be inspired to try exactly what you're talking about.

maybe. Never know.

And on the other side of that coin, I wonder if whoever took this photo over a hundred years ago ever wondered if someone down the road a hundred years later would still be looking at it and try to take the same photo.
imagine having your work surviving a hundred years and still having purpose...
I bet whoever took this, never thought it would.

I get tinkled pink thinking about the people that took some of these photos and what they must have thought of their work lasting.

US copyright has changed several times since the original US Constitution was written.
Pretty much any photo that was published prior to 1923 is now in the public domain and is not subject to copyright law.

From 1831 until 1909 the term of copyright was 28 years and allowed a renewal that added 14 more years. - Copyright Act of 1831 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In 1909 copyright was extended to 28 years and allowed for a renewal that added another 28 years. - Copyright Act of 1909 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Current copyright law went into effect January 1, 1978 - Copyright Act of 1976 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thankyou, I had a feeling was pretty safe at this point from copyright laws with most of these.

I cant even being to explain it either. I haven't done a lot, really just getting going. But when you stand in about the same place, as someone taking a photo a hundred years or more before. looking out over the same view. Thinking you might have walked down the same street, or trail, you are following the same path and basically standing in about the same place. Imagining the person standing there where you are, that far before your time. Doing the same thing. There with their camera looking out just like you are. And they never new you would come along that many years later. There is just something really cool about that. Its, really just a huge level of respect. And you don't even know the person.

If you're making a new image based upon an older one, I don't think I'd be too worried about copyrights. I don't think that's copyright infringement at all. If you're ACTUALLY stealing their stuff and claiming it as your own, that's probably not breaking any laws at this point, but it's still incredibly shady. The fact that you're worried about copyrights tells me you're not going to be doing that.

If you're making a new image based upon an older one, I don't think I'd be too worried about copyrights. I don't think that's copyright infringement at all. If you're ACTUALLY stealing their stuff and claiming it as your own, that's probably not breaking any laws at this point, but it's still incredibly shady. The fact that you're worried about copyrights tells me you're not going to be doing that.
I believe kmh brought up copyright as far as posting the original photo at the top on the site I posted. which prevents such things from being posted normally because of potential copyright issues I imagine. copyright has nothing to do with me accept for the new photos im taking would be copyrighted to me.

That's what I meant, sorta, ish. Maybe. I think? Yeah.

Most reactions

Back