Parts of the old barn

surfingfireman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Saw this on the way to the post office yesterday.

windowwithgrain.jpg

windowwithcrack.jpg

windowbroken.jpg

Bring on the C & C.

Thanks.

I can't recall having seen your stuff for ages. The first one is the strongest composition and the tonal variation creates an interesting top left to lower right drift that your eye naturally follows. Lots of finer detail in the wood too. Just curious, but is it fire damaged, or has it just weathered that way?

Thanks for the C & C Chris, a little change from our trivia competitiveness.

It's just an old building. The detail in the wood is what caught my eye and had me locking my brakes so that I could stop for some shots.

I agree, grain in the wood is very interesting. I would like #1 with a slightly tighter crop -- keep the window and the boards around it, but perhaps remove some from the bottom. That might remove a bit of the empty-feeling space, which I don't like.

I agree, grain in the wood is very interesting. I would like #1 with a slightly tighter crop -- keep the window and the boards around it, but perhaps remove some from the bottom. That might remove a bit of the empty-feeling space, which I don't like.

That's one of he things that I love about photography!

I certainly respect your point of view, and I do like the first image in particular, but I like it for its "openness" - in fact I would love to see a wider crop for more context.

Yup, a tighter crop would provide more focus on both the texture and lines, but I just can't help myself :wink:

Nice work, surfingfireman

Marc

The first is my fave...can't say it any better than Chris did. Great lines to it, and the portions of lighter coloured wood really please my eye as it works its way through the image.

That's one of he things that I love about photography!

I certainly respect your point of view, and I do like the first image in particular, but I like it for its "openness" - in fact I would love to see a wider crop for more context.

Yup, a tighter crop would provide more focus on both the texture and lines, but I just can't help myself :wink:

Hah! Yup, I see what you're saying, and my personal preferences just run the other way.

This is a great example of why you can't just listen to critiques blindly (whoa, mixed metaphor) -- every photographer has their own opinions, and while some things are basically universal, many are simply personal preference. Everything needs to be filtered through what you yourself believe and enjoy.

Hah! Yup, I see what you're saying, and my personal preferences just run the other way.
many are simply personal preference. Everything needs to be filtered through what you yourself believe and enjoy.

i think that's debatable. (personally i mostly agree). it really depends on what the purpose of the shot is. if you're trying to show something or get something across to an audience, it doesn't really matter a damn what you think, if your audience doesn't get it.... you've failed. if it's for your own personal pleasure on the otherhand, it doesn't matter a damn what ANYone else thinks, your contentment is your own success. the fact that a picture is posted publicly suggestes that there is more than personal satisfaction involved. since it's shown in public, it matters what the public thinks. the question is one of degree. where is the balance between one's personal artistic integrity and the responsibility of the artist to consider the perspectives, mindset and preferences of the target audience? what control should consumption have on art, and if art is controled is it worth consuming? tricky balance.

:soapbox:

oh well enough philosophic tripe. it only ever goes in circles. im just going to take some pictures.

(PS: this is the best emoticon i have ever seen. it's mine!!)

I do like #1 a lot. I also like #2. For some reason, #3 is just 'OK' for me, and I'm not really sure why.

Most reactions

Back