What's new

Path of the Beetle

bc_steve

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Feb 8, 2013
Messages
1,384
Reaction score
622
Location
British Columbia, Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I don't feel like I quite achieved what I was going for here, so I might have to try again at some point. But I really like the designs they make in the wood.

These are from the mountain pine beetle.

DSC_9079sm.webp
 
It's an interesting photo. Perhaps it could use a little contrast to help bring out the patterns.
 
This looks like an abstract "etching". All kidding aside, those Beetles are sure reeking havoc on our Pines here in the West.

The patterns are interesting in themselves, This one seems to show two sets of patterns, bigger "burrows" in the top part of the image and smaller ones in the lower part. There also seems to be two or three "centres" from which a number of the "burrow" branch out.

WesternGuy
 
the centres must be where eggs hatched, and the babies branched out? and by that same idea, maybe the bigger tunnels are from the adults that initially burrow into the trees?

the pine beetle is mostly done here in BC but it is still spreading through Alberta I assume? I haven't heard too much about it lately...
 
It's an interesting photo. Perhaps it could use a little contrast to help bring out the patterns.
I felt like I increased the contrast a lot already, and yes, because I wanted to bring out the patterns. But maybe a little more is in order if it doesn't look too overdone...
 
the centres must be where eggs hatched, and the babies branched out? and by that same idea, maybe the bigger tunnels are from the adults that initially burrow into the trees?

the pine beetle is mostly done here in BC but it is still spreading through Alberta I assume? I haven't heard too much about it lately...
Interesting ideas on what the "centres" and the different sized burrow might be. They make a lot of sense as I never thought of it being that way - good ideas.

I am not sure that they are finished here in AB, but they seemed to have calmed down a bit - don't hear as much on the news as we used to.

WesternGuy
 
Maybe try lighting at a very low angle and from the side. It is a very interesting photo that I think you could have some fun with.
Yes, I think this is the way to go, rather than add more contrast in post production.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom