PC crashes with photoshop after adding ram

I can't get memtest to work. Doesn't boot.

Personal experience, I never got two banks (4 chips) to work together without random crashes when I built my PC in 2010. Either bank (2 chips) worked fine, never crashed. Put them all in together (4 chips) and oil and vinegar kicked in.

This winter I picked up a 16GB of ram in a single kit and it works flawlessly.

Memory compatability is a bish. Every time I think they finally got past those issues (as an industry) they prove me wrong.

Short version is that I expect to install all new chips as a matched set when upgrading desktop RAM.

SoDimm machines, on the other hand, seem far more resiliant. IE laptops and microboxes.

Last edited:
When the pc boots, memtest pops up, and then the computer shuts down

When the pc boots, memtest pops up, and then the computer shuts down

If it reboot usually memory failure. Shut down usually it's overheating, motherboard sensor will shut your pc down for protection. As for the diagnostic. My favorite of all tim we is Hiren Boot version 10 or below it got memtest and pc doctor great hd testing program. Download hiren iso file it's around 120mb and burn it with nero/ultra iso. Set your bios to boot from cd.

Also mb aren't very good these days, sometimes your memory fail the same slot on your mb may fail too. That happens to me serveral times.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I don't know what it could be. According to hardware monitor, everything is nice and cool

It shuts down instantly. Pc boots, memtest pops up for 1 second, and then pc shuts down

Well, I think I just fried my mobo. I took out all ram, placed 1 in, hit power and it just sparked/popped. Now I can't boot. Just beeps 3 times

Well maybe it was the power supply.

If you do get back up an running have you tried running Microsoft security essentials? I had a virus that did the same BSD.

That's why I bought warranty for my mb. Hahaha, also there are serveral memtest versions out there. The newer version may do the reboot thing so try dl a few older version and try if you able to get it back up. It's a pita to diagnos a photographer pc vs a gamer pc I experienced.

If you have frys electronic in your area, you can go pick up a few extra parts to help you diagnos. Probably another overrated PSU to test. But most likely the mb fried some function.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, I can totally see the humor in this. Also, I don't think the computer knows its a photography rig. Kind of weird that you said diagnosing is different per computer.

Three short beeps usually means memory error.It's posable when you did the memory upgrade you may have sent static shock which is very bad,unless you used a ground strap then not likely.Sometime's even the smallest unnoticed static shock can fry electronic components but you know this already Im sure.I fried a HP Laptop by sending static when I touched the side metal around the USB port.Dry air - Socks and carpet Hp lost.It hurt like a SOB It was More painful then my 110 wall outlet not joking.

Last edited:
Three short beeps usually means memory error.It's posable when you did the memory upgrade you may have sent static shock which is very bad,unless you used a ground strap then not likely.Sometime's even the smallest unnoticed static shock can fry electronic components but you know this already Im sure.

The ram wasn't seated properly and popped

sucks man I feel bad for you.

Eh, it is what it is I guess

Most reactions

Back