PC or Mac... HELP!

Storage is now cheap.... In everything in life there is a trade off, I'd rather have a solid reliable piece of kit and buy storage - be-it cloud or external or both, There's not a single reason I'd chose a windows box now, and like I said, I built them for years..

It's the principle behind it though. 1 TB of SSD is a couple hundred bucks. So, as a consumer, we are just OK with spending a couple hundred bucks more, for less, and then going out and spending a couple hundred more to compete with the competition? Again, I really want to reiterate that I am going to most likely buy the MacBook, it is just killing me lol.

EDIT: Also, the "Trad off" would be spending a few hundred bucks more for the same specs, not less specs. I want to make that clear. I agree that Apple does a great job with their machines, but we shouldn't be paying them more for that, as well as for less specs.

Open up a Dell laptop, open up a Macbook, enough said. It helps if you know what your looking at but it is night and day. The quality of the capacitors alone, make it a better purchase. The VRM (CPU voltage regulator module) in a Dell is a joke that's not funny. The display alone is worth the extra. As mentioned, durability, resale, operating systems are all clear advantages irregardless of linking in home. I have built servers, engineering computers, home computers, graphic art workstations, and many Windows installations. I loathe Windows. The only reason I use one is because I have high end hardware and it's illegal to install Apple OS or Inwould have done it years ago. My main rig is a multi boot system running Linux Slackware, and Windows 10. The only time I boot Windows is if I need to edit a Fujifilm RAF file.

Last edited:
Alright, Alright. I give up. Thank you all for putting up with me and helping me with my decision. Time to sell my soul and head to the Apple store.

Just found out I can get a discount through work, so that helps. It looks like there is a "Pro Apps Bundle" which lists Final Cut Pro in it. I thought Final Cut Pro came with the computer?

I would never buy anything Apple, ever..........

Yeah...it's a lot like Nikon. $hi+ just works and works well, for years and years and years, with no virus issues, no kernel panics, no blue screen of death nonsense, has amazing screen quality, HIGH resale value (unlike Win-doze PC gear), and amazing up-time... Macintosh is awful...I've owned it since the 1990's, and no matter how much I want them to break down so I can easily rationalize a new machine, that's never happened. meanwhile....in 2002, my $2,999 then-top-of-the-line Sony Vaio PC, my first-ever PC, got hit with a virus, then an irrepairable kernel virus (a nice, malicious one,complete with a hacker's taunt...Oh,how much I LOVED that!!!). Yeah, a $2,999 PC that was destroyed in less than two years' of light duty use...

Again...stay away from Macintosh...the high-quality hardware and the slick,reliable, easy-to-use Operating System that is specifically designed _FOR_ your computer and made _BY_ the company that builds the hardware will last a long time, and will keep working for years, and those two awful things (long duty life, and integrated hardware and integrated OS) will leave you with no choice but to pass the old Mac along to a significant other, or to sell it for a high resale amount--should you choose to modernize. Macintosh sucks as much as Nikon gear and Nikkor lenses suck. Macintosh the machine, and Mac OS, both are utter crap. As stupid a choice as is Nikon.

I think I need a towel since I just took a bath in your sarcasm. :)

I am now a happy owner of a MacBook Pro. Time to become familiar with the OS. SO different.

I am now a happy owner of a MacBook Pro. Time to become familiar with the OS. SO different.

The hardest thing I had to learn is how much easier many things are. It was hard to understand how things that use to take several steps now only took 1-2 so I felt like I was doing something wrong.

I also had to become familiar with the OSX commands and ways of doing things after 25 years in a business that only used PC's. It was a pain at first, but now I prefer it over those times I turn around and use one of the PC's still running behind me. And don't tell microsoft that I have Windows XP running under Paralles desktop for when I need to run one very old program that non of my Windows 10 machines can run. I only have a 250gb HD and have no problem with disc space - all my photos and videos are on external drives and I have kept the number of installed programs to those that I use all the time. A three year old MBP with an i5 chip and 8gb memory and it still runs through processing D800 files in LR (catalog is on the SSD drive).

I'm a Nikon shooter, have been for decades. Love Nikon. But I don't think Canon shooters are crazy and I"m not one of those people who argues "you should use the same brand I use or you're an idiot."

Same with computers. Lots of good reasons to use PCs. But I was an early PC user (hey--I've owned an Osborne and then a couple of Kaypros, then a Zenith, a Dell, several Dells actually, a couple of HPs). I converted to Mac because of a business disaster and the persuasiveness of my son, and have never looked back. So any ,way you bought a Mac. I won't spend time convincing you why that was a good decision--you made that decision. But I'm going to share a couple of tips with you that might have you going "woah--this decision is looking better every day!"

1. Apple stores. Bring in your hard drive with a power source and they'll put it all on the HD of your new Mac--no charge. And the Genius Bar is a great way to get troubleshooting and problem solving. I brought in a frayed power chord (I rolled over it with my office chair--totally my fault) and it got replaced for free because it was in the first year. I believe that if you did NOT buy AppleCare, you still get a full year of free support and also online classes or classes at the Apple store. Maybe you're someone who'd prefer to read a manual or go to YouTube. For me, having F2F answers to my problems and hands-on instruction is just a really huge plus.

2. Affinity Pro. I really hate paying a monthly rental fee to Adobe--despise it. I know others don't mind. I also know it's the industry standard. And people make the argument that you can stop paying (but yeah, then what the hell do you do with your photo library?). No, to a serious photographer, once you start renting the PS/Creative Suite package you're doing so for as long as you're in photography. Unless you switch options. Affinity Pro was designed to be a direct competitor to PS. It was originally designed for the Mac. And you pay one fee and that's it--no monthly lease/rental charges, no fees for upgrades. I think I paid $30 and I believe it's up to a hefty $40 now.

3. iPhone and other Mac devices are seamless. As a photographer, it's really nice to have a phone and iPad and MacPro that will all easily update and share information. So you can be at a shoot and the photos are downloaded to your Mac in another room and then shared with your phone which you can pull out to compare with a model and make quick adjustments. As Derrel pointed out, there is a seamlessness about all the stuff and it just "works."

anyone like working with windows 7 ?

I finally pushed my 6-year-old laptop to its limits and it is no longer with us. Now I have to decide if I want to stick with PC, or sell my self to the devil and go Mac. Right now I am stuck between the Dell XPS 15 with an 8th gen i7, GTX 1050 Ti, 1 TB SSD and 32 GB ram, or a MacBook Pro with the same processor, 1/3 the storage, half the ram, and an AMD processor... The MacBook Pro is $2400 while the Dell is $2100. The biggest thing stopping me from switching isn't even the price, but the environment. I have a full smart home setup with everything Google. A google pixel 3. A PC desktop (which I would probably end up turning into a server). So I have nothing invested into Apple which I think is Apple's biggest selling point. Owning everything Apple and having it just work everytime you need it, with ease. The biggest selling point for me on the MacBook side is the 4 USB-C (Lightning ports) as well as the rendering speeds in final cut pro. But, I edit photos way more than I do videos. So, I am just not sure I can justify going with the MacBook Pro. What do you all use? Any recommendations or insight from either side?

Do you need a laptop?, you could get a high spec iMac as a refurb or second hand.

I finally pushed my 6-year-old laptop to its limits and it is no longer with us. Now I have to decide if I want to stick with PC, or sell my self to the devil and go Mac. Right now I am stuck between the Dell XPS 15 with an 8th gen i7, GTX 1050 Ti, 1 TB SSD and 32 GB ram, or a MacBook Pro with the same processor, 1/3 the storage, half the ram, and an AMD processor... The MacBook Pro is $2400 while the Dell is $2100. The biggest thing stopping me from switching isn't even the price, but the environment. I have a full smart home setup with everything Google. A google pixel 3. A PC desktop (which I would probably end up turning into a server). So I have nothing invested into Apple which I think is Apple's biggest selling point. Owning everything Apple and having it just work everytime you need it, with ease. The biggest selling point for me on the MacBook side is the 4 USB-C (Lightning ports) as well as the rendering speeds in final cut pro. But, I edit photos way more than I do videos. So, I am just not sure I can justify going with the MacBook Pro. What do you all use? Any recommendations or insight from either side?
I can't comment on your specific needs, but I was using pc's running windows for a long time. When I switched to Mac years ago, it was an epiphany. Everything worked flawlessly. It seemed designed for a person to use. It is more expensive, but I think that is justified.

My 12 year old son just brought back to life a 2010 MacBook Pro after I thought it was unrecoverable. That box has been through two hard drives, two batteries, and a frayed ribbon cable. I doubt you will be unhappy with your purchase.

MTA. I just picked up a 2011 model for about £400 for my other son. They just speak for themselves. :shrug:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back