PC or Mac... HELP!

Easy answer. Buy Mac used.
My Mac Pro 2008 is still running strong, I use it EVERYDAY for heavy work. I paid $1000 for it over SEVEN years ago and have only had to replace the video card 6 months ago. Everything else I added were just upgrades.
16GB RAM, 500GB SSD boot drive, plus 3 more internal drives, one just for photoshop scratch disk space ONLY. Installed an eSATA PCI card and transfer speeds from my RAID external went up significantly.
Downside for changing is learning to work with a new OS. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't like laptops. I use them only when absolutely necessary. Little screens and little keyboards annoy me.
As a professional, I would not buy an iMac. You're locked into one monitor and when it goes off, then what? You're in for major surgery to get a color accurate monitor back into the thing.
Mac Pro towers were the last really professional Macs they made. You can get one for cheap now and upgrade the heck out of it. Small commitment $-wise and you can decide whether you like it or not.

New MacBooks are impaired with minimal ports and yet they call them professional. Pffft. Upgradability is very important to me and I'd rec. a PC laptop, despite the horrid OS, with changeable batteries and multiple ports, USB 3, Thunderbolt 3, etc, over a brand new Mac laptop which only has Two Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports and a headphone jack!

New MacBooks are impaired with minimal ports and yet they call them professional. Pffft. Upgradability is very important to me and I'd rec. a PC laptop, despite the horrid OS, with changeable batteries and multiple ports, USB 3, Thunderbolt 3, etc, over a brand new Mac laptop which only has Two Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports and a headphone jack!

The new Macbook Pro has four Thunderbolt ports, not two. The not being able to really upgrade anything does seem to worry me, however, I never usually upgrade my machines. I usually end up upgrading to a new machine. So I think for me, this is more of something to complain about rather than something that will actually affect me. It is sort of like how I complain about the lack of ability to change much on the iPhone, yet at this stage in life I find myself not tinkering with my phones as much. I switched back to android after owning the iPhone for three months, mainly because I missed widgets (Mint especially), but also because I "needed the ability to customize my phone more". Yet here I am a few months later and all I have set up are the widgets, and nothing else. My point is, for most of us, I think we look at features, or the lack of features, and just complain about it, when in reality we don't use most of them. I am not saying this is true for everyone, but majority of consumers.

I finally pushed my 6-year-old laptop to its limits and it is no longer with us. Now I have to decide if I want to stick with PC, or sell my self to the devil and go Mac. Right now I am stuck between the Dell XPS 15 with an 8th gen i7, GTX 1050 Ti, 1 TB SSD and 32 GB ram, or a MacBook Pro with the same processor, 1/3 the storage, half the ram, and an AMD processor... The MacBook Pro is $2400 while the Dell is $2100. The biggest thing stopping me from switching isn't even the price, but the environment. I have a full smart home setup with everything Google. A google pixel 3. A PC desktop (which I would probably end up turning into a server). So I have nothing invested into Apple which I think is Apple's biggest selling point. Owning everything Apple and having it just work everytime you need it, with ease. The biggest selling point for me on the MacBook side is the 4 USB-C (Lightning ports) as well as the rendering speeds in final cut pro. But, I edit photos way more than I do videos. So, I am just not sure I can justify going with the MacBook Pro. What do you all use? Any recommendations or insight from either side?

I finally pushed my 6-year-old laptop to its limits and it is no longer with us. Now I have to decide if I want to stick with PC, or sell my self to the devil and go Mac. Right now I am stuck between the Dell XPS 15 with an 8th gen i7, GTX 1050 Ti, 1 TB SSD and 32 GB ram, or a MacBook Pro with the same processor, 1/3 the storage, half the ram, and an AMD processor... The MacBook Pro is $2400 while the Dell is $2100. The biggest thing stopping me from switching isn't even the price, but the environment. I have a full smart home setup with everything Google. A google pixel 3. A PC desktop (which I would probably end up turning into a server). So I have nothing invested into Apple which I think is Apple's biggest selling point. Owning everything Apple and having it just work everytime you need it, with ease. The biggest selling point for me on the MacBook side is the 4 USB-C (Lightning ports) as well as the rendering speeds in final cut pro. But, I edit photos way more than I do videos. So, I am just not sure I can justify going with the MacBook Pro. What do you all use? Any recommendations or insight from either side?

Hi this should resolve matters :
Let me tell you mu story Mac Vs PC... :
I used to be the PC Doctor here in Devon and Dorset, in the year of 200o when it was windows 98 up to XP I quickly learned to build computers and format them Spend days de fragging, time after time de hacking viruses and other stuff. Scary what you find on a hard drive run by windows just by typing in the word Model or nude! What goes through the back door that you have not seen , is more likely why Gary Glitter got arrested . I mean, Who looks at illegal stuff then goes and put their computer in for a service?
This happened to a few clients i services computers and they had lost all information. i have a recovery program , It pulls out everything, Its frightening.
Even at a Convent ! So destiny and my want to do under water photography took me as a dive instructor to Borneo.
I bought a PC as well has having my old laptop. I though my lap top was the great.
I paid allot for the best I could get. Then I met the filming company, they said I need to buy a mac, As for the graphics are much better.

I bout a mac book pro. Took getting used to. Once I got used to it, I felt silly wasting all my money on the PC they get going wrong.

I discovered I could have windows on my mac too , best of both worlds.
Running so many application I still have to day. This was back in 2007 . The lap top got out of dat, I sold it back here for £500. I bought another 15 inch 2011. I am still using it right now!
Macs do not get viruses, Ad ware is easy to remove, back up is easy to install. You spend more time using it then it sitting there wanting to be fixed. Less stress, then having to work matters out!
You pay fare a damn great service on line or from a free phone call. Get stuck. You go to help

Hi this should resolve matters :
Let me tell you mu story Mac Vs PC... :
I used to be the PC Doctor here in Devon and Dorset, in the year of 200o when it was windows 98 up to XP I quickly learned to build computers and format them Spend days de fragging, time after time de hacking viruses and other stuff. Scary what you find on a hard drive run by windows just by typing in the word Model or nude! What goes through the back door that you have not seen , is more likely why Gary Glitter got arrested . I mean, Who looks at illegal stuff then goes and put their computer in for a service?
This happened to a few clients i services computers and they had lost all information. i have a recovery program , It pulls out everything, Its frightening.
Even at a Convent ! So destiny and my want to do under water photography took me as a dive instructor to Borneo.
I bought a PC as well has having my old laptop. I though my lap top was the great.
I paid allot for the best I could get. Then I met the filming company, they said I need to buy a mac, As for the graphics are much better.

I bout a mac book pro. Took getting used to. Once I got used to it, I felt silly wasting all my money on the PC they get going wrong.

I discovered I could have windows on my mac too , best of both worlds.
Running so many application I still have to day. This was back in 2007 . The lap top got out of dat, I sold it back here for £500. I bought another 15 inch 2011. I am still using it right now!
Macs do not get viruses, Ad ware is easy to remove, back up is easy to install. You spend more time using it then it sitting there wanting to be fixed. Less stress, then having to work matters out!
You pay fare a damn great service on line or from a free phone call. Get stuck. You go to help
This resolves nothing. It's just a vague, out of date nonsense story.

• Learning all of the new "Shortcuts". This was expected, but phew, it is a pain.
  • I HATE the file system. PLEASE APPLE, JUST LET ME DRAG FILES.
No it isnt and yes you can

Most reactions

Back