Pear Blossoms

adamhiram

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Each spring, the flowering pear trees in my yard explode with white blossoms for about a week. The saplings were small enough to fit in the back seat of my car 8 years ago, and now they are about 30' tall. Each year I try to take a slightly different photo of the flowers. This year, I brought a softbox out into the yard and overpowered the sun to create a black background.

Nikon D500 with 85mm f/1.8 lens and 12mm extension tube for closer focusing distance
85mm, ISO 50 (simulated), f/11, 1/250s
Softbox above and camera right, feathered to avoid light spill on anything behind it.
Processed in LR with some light editing in PS for a pure black background.

20190411-DSC_1947a
by adamhiram, on Flickr

Very Nice! I have a few Apple blossoms just starting. That little touch of pink on the stamen in the front flower locks focus like magnet. Well done.

Last edited:
Thank you! I especially appreciate the details of how you made the shot.

Wonderful image. Man, it screams square crop, print, double mat, frame, and hang on wall to me.

This is also a great example of the advantage of using strobe / flash for increased color saturation, clarity, and making an image as opposed to taking one.

Wonderful image. Man, it screams square crop, print, double mat, frame, and hang on wall to me.

This is also a great example of the advantage of using strobe / flash for increased color saturation, clarity, and making an image as opposed to taking one.

Much agreement here, on multiple points!

Thank you for the kind words! I didn't expect this much feedback on a picture of flowers, but it is definitely appreciated.

Some additional information - I wanted to try to get more in focus, but didn't care for the results, so this is the shot I went with.
  • Focus stacking wasn't really an option, since this is a "live" subject subject that moves in the wind
  • I took another shot at f/16, the smallest aperture this lens (85mm f/1.8) is capable of, but it just looked softer without a significant increase in depth of field
  • I took another shot with another lens that is softer but can go all the way down to f/40 (AFS- 70-300 f/4.5-5.6). At 200mm and f/32, I was able to get everything in sharp focus, but the overall sharpness and contrast were lacking, and the perspective was a bit different at this focal length.
Thanks again for the feedback!

This flower is so beautiful. I have never seen this before! Thank you so much for sharing a pic of such a lovely flower! :586:

Most reactions

Back