What's new

Pears in Bowl for C&C

dbvirago

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Oct 29, 2012
Messages
470
Reaction score
124
Location
Dunwoody, Georgia
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Thanks in advance for comments and input and special thanks to PhillipM for the inspiration.


$Cut Pear with Pears in Wood Bowl.webp
 
I like it. Very simple still life. You made use of just the light above the table? Makes the slice a bit hot, that's all I see which may be worth some critisism. It feels a tad warm by the incandescent light, but not wrongly warm. All in my opinion only, of course. I'm not one to really-really critisise light etc. I know next to nothing about proper lighting, I'm afraid.
 
Thanks, yeah only light above table. I used a grey card to adjust the WB in post. As I've looked at it later, I wish I'd used a reflector to fill in the shadows a bit more.
 
I'm not real keen on the use of a darker than the bowl wood table top which is reflecting the knife and thus providing unneeded distraction..perhaps a much darker placemat or tablecloth with the lighting drifting off into darkness.
 
Thanks. I have a couple of ideas for re-shoots. One with a placemat and another on a lighter 'table' backlit. I also tried the same shot today with a reflector for the shadow, but wasn't happy, so I ended up dragging the shutter and bouncing a little fill off the ceiling and some variations on the comp. Too tired to PP right now, I will post later in the week.
 
Ok, moved to a lighter table, changed the light, threw in some color and traded the knife for some cheese. (Although I also have one with the knife). Better?

$Sliced Cheese and Bartlett Pears.webp
 
$Cut Pear with Pears in Wood Bowl.webp

The background needs to fall off and give it more drama, I am not fond of the tip of the knife peaking out from under the apple slice, you might want to show the knife...more lighting challenges doing so
 
Yeah, when I took that one, the background went to hell just outside the frame. I have since created a muted backdrop so I can get more bg and/or shoot at a lower angle. Thanks for the tip (no pun) on the knife.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom