Peculiar recommendation request

rickwilmath

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am a landscape guy and I want to take pictures of landscapes especially small plant beds. I won't be doing any close-ups and I will be taking the vast majority of pictures from about 10 feet to 30 feet range. Realistically, I am an amateur photographer although I have worked with some of the settings such as white balance and f-stop and would like to be able to tweek the camera if I could but this isn't a big item.

I am only interested in image quality and don't care about any of the other bells and whistles.

Also, I am on a strict budget and would like to get something used from ebay hopefully for less than $150 so I will probably end up with something out of date but useful for my purposes.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Rick

Nikon D200 off ebay. Nice thing about them is they have the body AF drive so you can use the AF and AF-D type AF lenses on it. Along with MF lenses from older film days. I just looked and several going for $150 or less. Some with lenses of various mm range.

If you have a cell phone you're all set.
Agreed, in your price range best use your cell phone, keep saving money and when you have more money then buy a good camera.

Can't really get you there at that price range.

For $325.00 USD you can get a used D3200 with kit lens. Couldn't comfortably go lower, thinking offhand. Another vote for cell phone unless funds are available for more...

Last edited:
A D200 costs $150 by itself and is useless without glas.

I know some pretty darn supercheap lenses that are great anyway, for example the manual focus Nikon 50mm f1.8 E-Series (about $50).

Other than that, yeah a piece of paper with a tiny hole works too as a lens (pinhole camera). Just doesnt give too much light, thus it takes a while to photograph anything this way and while all other lens attributes are as perfect as they will ever get, sharpness isnt really that high.

Last edited:
You don't need anything fancy IF the lighting conditions are right. I see on eBay a Nikon D80 with 28-80 zoom lens for $150 US. That is more than enough camera for what you want. A D40 with 18-55 zoom lens for $129.99 would do it as well. Get the D40 and a used tripod and you're really set.

It takes some amount of photography knowledge and skill to consistently make good photos with an interchangeable lens camera, most bridge, and the better P&S cameras.

In a year or so of fairly dedicated study the OP could probably learn enough to make decent images with a $150 DSLR like a Nikon D200.
In fact I have a pristine Nikon D200 just sitting around I would be willing to sell the OP for $150.

For the most part cell phone cameras do a good job of controlling exposure. The challenge for a cell phone user is evaluating light quality and direction and composition of the image.

I just ordered some new grips for my D200. They should be close to $150 and add a $100 lens. I still have the 18-70mm lens that was the kit with that camera, good for landscapes.

I know some pretty darn supercheap lenses that are great anyway, for example the manual focus Nikon 50mm f1.8 E-Series (about $50).

Other than that, yeah a piece of paper with a tiny hole works too as a lens (pinhole camera). Just doesnt give too much light, thus it takes a while to photograph anything this way and while all other lens attributes are as perfect as they will ever get, sharpness isnt really that high.
Actually on Ebay there were several with lenses of various sizes for UNDER $150 when I looked! There was even a D300 body for $145 that claimed to be fully functional!

Actually on Ebay there were several with lenses of various sizes for UNDER $150 when I looked! There was even a D300 body for $145 that claimed to be fully functional!

Buy it now? Or are they auctions that are still being bid on?

Also, I’m with the group saying stick with your cell phone. Any of the smartphones put out in the last 2 years or so will be as good or better than a used $150 camera.

You could always get some decent clip on lenses for your phone to expand your abilities. Some of the wide angle, fish eye, and telephoto clip on lenses for my iPhone work surprisingly well.

Also, I’m with the group saying stick with your cell phone. Any of the smartphones put out in the last 2 years or so will be as good or better than a used $150 camera.

You could always get some decent clip on lenses for your phone to expand your abilities. Some of the wide angle, fish eye, and telephoto clip on lenses for my iPhone work surprisingly well.
There is a D200 from KEH on ebay listed as a "bargain" for $119 buy it now, listed currently. No lens. But $119 with free shipping for $119! KEH is known to grade their equipment lower than actual. Another buy it now with a 50mm f/1.8 MF lens for $135 with shipping. KEH has another one listed as Excellent for $150 including shipping. There is a gripped one (no lens for $145). All buy it now!

There is a D200 from KEH on ebay listed as a "bargain" for $119 buy it now, listed currently. No lens. But $119 with free shipping for $119! KEH is known to grade their equipment lower than actual. Another buy it now with a 50mm f/1.8 MF lens for $135 with shipping. KEH has another one listed as Excellent for $150 including shipping. There is a gripped one (no lens for $145). All buy it now!

That’s not a bad deal.. at all! If I had any use whatsoever I’d be tempted to buy it.

I still think OP will get better results with a smart phone. If he doesn’t want to learn advanced camera controls, and wants to make good photos right away, it’s easier with a phone. My iPhone is better in low light and has more resolution than a D200 as well.

I agree with current phones having better sensors than the aging D200. But it would meet his needs for best sensor in a camera for $150. :allteeth:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back