Peekaboo bird. c+c please

flameshots

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Not even sure what kind of bird this is. I'ts at the Atlanta Zoo aviary. (Is that bad taste? Posting a bird without the name? :blushing:)

Not sure if it works or not. I kinda like it but the only way to get better is to learn from others. C+C always appreciated.

Not in bad taste IMO; however there's not too much to C&C about this type of image, you have to shoot the best you can when the opportunity presents itself. I would suggest for future reference, zoom in more tightly (all the leaves image left don't add anything) and spot-meter the subject; as you can see, the bird is quite underexposed due to the brightness of the surrounding area.

I would suggest for future reference, zoom in more tightly (all the leaves image left don't add anything) and spot-meter the subject; as you can see, the bird is quite underexposed due to the brightness of the surrounding area.

That is what bugs me the most about this shot. I'm zoomed in about as much as my 300 would let me. Do you think cropping it would help or would it just get more grainy? Thanks for the input.

First of all I am a beginner myself so please pardon me if I say something wrong. Okay now I checked out the EXIF info, it was 1/160, F/16 and ISO 800, and you took it with shutter priority apparently. Now first of all I think ISO 800 was not really needed and you should have shot at the native ISO 200, also F/16 seems unnecessary for such a close up shot and you could have gone for aperture priority with a larger aperture IMO.

On second thoughts, the bird's "activity" might have been frantic which is why you chose shutter priority after all

Last edited:
I think you could crop it a little more tightly and not lose anything significant from the IQ. Kalni makes an excellent point with respect to your settings. Always shoot with your ISO as low as you can to get the results you want.

First of all I am a beginner myself so please pardon me if I say something wrong. Okay now I checked out the EXIF info, it was 1/160, F/16 and ISO 800, and you took it with shutter priority apparently. Now first of all I think ISO 800 was not really needed and you should have shot at the native ISO 200, also F/16 seems unnecessary for such a close up shot and you could have gone for aperture priority with a larger aperture IMO.

Wow, I need to check the settings on this one. Honestly I didn't think it was at f-16, and from the looks of the shot I find that hard to believe. the leaves in front of the bird are only 1-2 feet away from him. Anyway I agree that 800 is a little fast. I have a BAD habit of not paying attention to all the details when shooting. That is probably my biggest weakness as a photographer. Thanks for the input.

Most reactions

Back