Pentax 77mm f/1.8 Limited

Johnboy2978

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.johncountsphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Nice, but I would opt for the SMCP-A 85/1.4 or the SMCP-A 135/1.8. Both are pretty hard to find, and manual focus. But killer lenses.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I actually meant the manual focus version made in the mid-to-late 80's. I can't comment specifically on the limited edition auto focus lenses because I've never used them, but the regular AF lenses in 35mm feel like such flimsy pieces of ****.

There is a new Pentax DA 55mm 1.4, but no serious reviews that I can find as of yet.

That's because it's DA. And DA lenses aren't serious.

That's because it's DA. And DA lenses aren't serious.
Har har! Funny joke :lol:.

Anyway, I've had the privelege of trying out the 77 1.4 on my K10 for an entire day and it was quite impressive. It's optically spectacular and physically well-built. I already dropped $650 on the Sigma 10-20 and the 50-135 is still my next purchase, so this 77mm will have to wait. But I guarantee you it IS on my list, and if you shoot Pentax it should be on yours as well!

So this is kinda random but why does Pentax do those kinda offbeat focal length primes, as opposed to the "standards"? I see some m42 generics, Soviet lenses, etc that do it too. Just wondering.

So this is kinda random but why does Pentax do those kinda offbeat focal length primes, as opposed to the "standards"? I see some m42 generics, Soviet lenses, etc that do it too. Just wondering.
Hmm, so you are implying that Pentax simply re-brands cheap Russian glass. While anything is possible, Pentax lenses generally receive excellent reviews.

Hmm, so you are implying that Pentax simply re-brands cheap Russian glass.

Yeah, that's totally what I'm doing. I used a friend's K10d and 40mm pancake (another offbeat focal length) and it totally sucked. It reeked of rebranded cheap russian commie glass.

You're too paranoid, dude.

I don't own the FA 77/1.8, but I've used it a couple of times, and it is indeed an excellent lens. The only problem I encountered was some mild PF in high contrast areas when shooting wide open. IQ and build quality of this gem are top notch. I too intend to buy one as soon as finances permit.

BTW, the DA*50-135 is a *fine* lens and a total joy to use. With the BG attached, it balances the K20D perfectly for hand held shooting. IQ, color and contrast are excellent. The weather sealing is merely the icing on the cake :D Once I stick it on to my K20D, it doesn't usually come off for atleast a week...it's my favorite lens.

Most reactions

Back