Pentax K-5 or Canon EOS 7D

TCUphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm a full time grad student and will probably do 15-30 sessions next year, and a wedding. Need a better camera, but on a very limited budget. Currently have 3 pentax lenses, only one of which I'd sell because I still want a backup camera.

Pentax K-5 body: $1200 at my local store
  • 16.3 MP

Canon EOS 7D
body: $1700 + cost of new lens (probably about $1000)
  • 18 MP
It'd be nice to stay with Pentax since I have the lenses, but everyone says "switch to Canon or Nikon". Which would you get??

What do you have now and why do you need something better?
No offense, but the fact that the only spec. you list about either camera is the Mega Pixel count...leads me to think that you have a lot to learn about cameras & photography.

I do agree that you will need a backup camera, especially if you'll be shooting a wedding.

Haha I know I got lazy. Sorry.

Currently shoot w a Pentax k100d. It's been a great starting camera, but it's too noisy at a moderate ISO, 6 MP, can't shoot RAW, etc.... I'm ready to upgrade. And the MP does have something to due with it, considering people's iphones have better resolution. Most of my clients order enlarged prints so I feel like I need to offer a good product.

It'd be nice to go with the pentax k-5. Both cameras have good reviews on amazon, I've just been told numerous times to switch to one of the big names now, while I continue to grow and accumulate equipment.

You can get a 7D for less than $1700. I just got one on a Holiday deal for $1099 just the body. They are $1369 on BHphoto.com right now. Personally, I love the 7D. It has more Cross-type AF points, and Higher FPS. Plus there are much more lenses available for it which means better deals new and better deals used. Also, if you are going to keep a second body, I would make sure they are the same brand of camera so that you can shoot easily with 2 bodies and share lenses. If I was you, I would grab a 7D for around $1300. Sell the K-5 and either pick up a used 50D as a second body and put the rest of the cash towards lenses, or buy a used 5DMKI and put the rest towards lenses.

On the other hand, the K-5 is a very capable camera when you don't consider the brand disadvantage.

Whoops, I misread and thought you already had a K-5. Duh. Yeah, I would go with the 7D and sell your old body and lenses. It may cost you a bit more up front, but in the long run, if you are going to keep doing this, I think you will be glad you did.

Currently shoot w a Pentax k100d. It's been a great starting camera, but it's too noisy at a moderate ISO, 6 MP, can't shoot RAW, etc.... I'm ready to upgrade. And the MP does have something to due with it, considering people's iphones have better resolution. Most of my clients order enlarged prints so I feel like I need to offer a good product.

It'd be nice to go with the pentax k-5. Both cameras have good reviews on amazon, I've just been told numerous times to switch to one of the big names now, while I continue to grow and accumulate equipment.

A properly exposed, focused, and processed image of 12mp can be enlarged to just about any print size your clients would want. The difference in resolution between the 7D and the K-5 is insignificant.

I apologize, it certainly does sound like you're in need of an upgrade.

It would make sense to stick with the brand that you have already, allowing you to use lenses that you have already and making for a less awkward backup situation.

I know very little about the current Pentax line-up, so I can't offer any advice on the K-5 or any other models.

The 7D is certainly a decent camera. It's got some of the best focusing and metering systems that you'll find in a Canon camera. It's also a very fast shooter.

When you say that you'll be doing 15-30 'sessions'....is that portraits? If all you are going to do is a lot of portraits and one wedding (for now anyway), the 7D may not be the best choice, especially if you're on a tight budget....because you would be paying for fast shooting and speedy AF that you might not really take advantage of. A 60D or even a Rebel T3i would give you the upgrades that you need (more MP, better ISO performance etc.) but at a much lower price.

But to that end, whatever Pentax model you choose, would probably be a good upgrade as well.

I think that many people will still say that switching to Canon or Nikon is a good idea, but that is a tough pill to swallow, especially when on a tight budget.
How about this?....Could you get a better Pentax body, but a used one? That would probably be enough to get you through the next year. You may not have to buy any additional lenses and you'll have a matching backup.
Then sometime later, you can consider selling your whole Pentax system, and jumping ship to Canon or Nikon (if you want to).

You can get a 7D for less than $1700. I just got one on a Holiday deal for $1099 just the body. They are $1369 on BHphoto.com right now. Personally, I love the 7D. It has more Cross-type AF points, and Higher FPS. Plus there are much more lenses available for it which means better deals new and better deals used. Also, if you are going to keep a second body, I would make sure they are the same brand of camera so that you can shoot easily with 2 bodies and share lenses. If I was you, I would grab a 7D for around $1300. Sell the K-5 and either pick up a used 50D as a second body and put the rest of the cash towards lenses, or buy a used 5DMKI and put the rest towards lenses.

On the other hand, the K-5 is a very capable camera when you don't consider the brand disadvantage.

Thanks, where did you get it for for $1099??

I apologize, it certainly does sound like you're in need of an upgrade.

It would make sense to stick with the brand that you have already, allowing you to use lenses that you have already and making for a less awkward backup situation.

I know very little about the current Pentax line-up, so I can't offer any advice on the K-5 or any other models.

The 7D is certainly a decent camera. It's got some of the best focusing and metering systems that you'll find in a Canon camera. It's also a very fast shooter.

When you say that you'll be doing 15-30 'sessions'....is that portraits? If all you are going to do is a lot of portraits and one wedding (for now anyway), the 7D may not be the best choice, especially if you're on a tight budget....because you would be paying for fast shooting and speedy AF that you might not really take advantage of. A 60D or even a Rebel T3i would give you the upgrades that you need (more MP, better ISO performance etc.) but at a much lower price.

But to that end, whatever Pentax model you choose, would probably be a good upgrade as well.

I think that many people will still say that switching to Canon or Nikon is a good idea, but that is a tough pill to swallow, especially when on a tight budget.
How about this?....Could you get a better Pentax body, but a used one? That would probably be enough to get you through the next year. You may not have to buy any additional lenses and you'll have a matching backup.
Then sometime later, you can consider selling your whole Pentax system, and jumping ship to Canon or Nikon (if you want to).

Thanks big Mike!! Yes, sessions I do are portraits. Mainly family, and a few engagements coming up.

Thanks, where did you get it for for $1099??

That deal is no longer. It was a short time deal. However, this is the time of year to keep your eyes peeled for sales. The $1369 sale is good til Jan. 7th at bhphoto.com.

I would love to have a K5 but for different reasons (I own a whole case of vintage K-mount glass w/ only a K10D). I don't think you can go wrong with either

BUT

I would recommend Canon (I shot with 1d MII w/ a lot of access to glass). To start, larger lens (recent AF models) selection at reasonable prices (supply vs demand). Performance of the 7D is pretty darn good. Example, lensrentals does not have a selection of Pentax but plenty of Nikon and Canon.

BUT

before you make a decision... Do you shoot sessions and weddings alone or within a group? If within a group, you really should shoot with the same system for the sake of improving workflow and sharing of equipment.

I personally would get the K5 :) When I upgraded my Km I purchased a used K20d on ebay for $400 and I love it. I like that I have a back up body so if I shoot weddings, or anything else for that matter I always have both of them on the go, my K20d with the lens I use the most. I wouldn't switch brands if I were you.

Should be noted that you'd be crazy to spend $1700 on a 7D when you can easily find a new or barely used one for $1300.

--
Sent from my Droid Bionic.

Most reactions

Back