pentax k-mount adapter

iPhoto17

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
to use my lenses i have for my pentax on my nikon the guy at wolf photo told me about the k-mount adapter.

do i need one for each lens or is it one size fits all?

The adapter will have a corrective lens in it, because the flange-focal-distance of a Pentax K (45.46mm) is smaller than Nikon F-mount (46.50mm). If the Pentax lens you have does not interfere with the corrective lens in the adapter, then, in general, you can use it on all the Pentax K lens and Nikon DSLR body combination.

The adapter will have a corrective lens in it, because the flange-focal-distance of a Pentax K (45.46mm) is smaller than Nikon F-mount (46.50mm). If the Pentax lens you have does not interfere with the corrective lens in the adapter, then, in general, you can use it on all the Pentax K lens and Nikon DSLR body combination.

cool, you think you can send me a link to one of these? i searched myself and came up with a whole bunch of different things, thanks

cool, you think you can send me a link to one of these? i searched myself and came up with a whole bunch of different things, thanks

In my opinion Pentax lens on a Nikon body is not a good combination, however
you can do it:

Pentax PK Lens to Nikon DSLR Body Mount Adapter Ring | eBay

Y
ou will certainly lose camera body function.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Although I can understand your desire to use some existing lenses, in my opinion what you will lose in so doing so overshadows any possible gains.

Any mirrorless camera bodies (NEX, Micro 4/3 Panasonic, Micro 4/3 Oylmpus...) are good candidates for Pentax lenses with an aperture ring.

what do i lose out of this besides auto-focus? i can care less about that, i actually prefer shooting with my k1000 but the d3000 is cheaper to shoot with

what do i lose out of this besides auto-focus? i can care less about that, i actually prefer shooting with my k1000 but the d3000 is cheaper to shoot with
You will have to shoot with "M". and no light meter. Olympus E-P1 is not expensive, and has image stableizer. Don't take my word for it try it out, or ask someone who has.

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Thirds-Interchangeable-Digital-Body/dp/B002CGSYKI

http://www.amazon.com/OLYMPUS-26285...3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1334573857&sr=1-3

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
adapter with lens also changes slightly the focal length, in addition to decrease image quality. Actually, among current dSLRs, Nikon is the only one that needs optical adapters to mount many old lenses.

The problem with the E-P1 is that it does not support the option of EVF and manual focusing on the rear LCD can be a bit uncomfortable. Once you figure in a pen body with EVF attachment it is no longer inexpensive. Rarely will you find a used EVF attachment for sale used.. because they are compatible even with the newest of Pen cameras.

There are other options:

* Early Panasonic Micro 4/3. inexpensive, adapters galor, and internal EVF. Con: No Image stabilization and older sensor. 2x crop so your 50mm is FOV of 100mm.
* Early Pentax DSLR. *ist or similar. Can be found cheap. Because they are equipped with a K-mount (crippled), you get more functionality than to another camera. No adapters required. Crop is not as bad as micro 4/3. Con: Again... older sensor, dated camera UI, pent-mirror instead of penta-prism view finder.

I agree with the above regarding the adapter... you are adding another cheap glass element in the mix. yuk! If you go the micro 43, they do have an adapter that has an additional ring to open and stop down the lenses. I found it quite convenient for critical focus. Fotodiox is about the only one that makes them. There are numerous cheap adapters out there that do not have this stop down ring, they work fine too.

There are other options:

* Early Panasonic Micro 4/3. inexpensive, adapters galor, and internal EVF. Con: No Image stabilization and older sensor. 2x crop so your 50mm is FOV of 100mm.
* Early Pentax DSLR. *ist or similar. Can be found cheap. Because they are equipped with a K-mount (crippled), you get more functionality than to another camera. No adapters required. Crop is not as bad as micro 4/3. Con: Again... older sensor, dated camera UI, pent-mirror instead of penta-prism view finder.

+ any Canon with a cheap adapter, no need for extra glass.

The problem with the E-P1 is that it does not support the option of EVF and manual focusing on the rear LCD can be a bit uncomfortable. Once you figure in a pen body with EVF attachment it is no longer inexpensive. Rarely will you find a used EVF attachment for sale used.. because they are compatible even with the newest of Pen cameras.

There are other options:

I agree with the above regarding the adapter... you are adding another cheap glass element in the mix. yuk! If you go the micro 43, they do have an adapter that has an additional ring to open and stop down the lenses. I found it quite convenient for critical focus. Fotodiox is about the only one that makes them. There are numerous cheap adapters out there that do not have this stop down ring, they work fine too.

I agree with you with the evf, but not everyone wants a evf. Take a look at 5D mkII, many spend hundreds of dollars to buy a LCD scope to avoid to look through viewfinder. I like a EVF that is why I bought a NEX-7. You are wrong about the manual focus, the only way to focus the Pentax lens is the old way, by the lens.

I agree with you with the evf, but not everyone wants a evf. Take a look at 5D mkII, many spend hundreds of dollars to buy a LCD scope to avoid to look through viewfinder. I like a EVF that is why I bought a NEX-7. You are wrong about the manual focus, the only way to focus the Pentax lens is the old way, by the lens.

You should read more carefully.

None of what you said is related to my response.

* Of course the only way to focus an old Pentax lens is by the lens.. I didn't say anything contrary
* I wasn't talking about any other 5D nor making a comparison. In the case of the 5D, you have the option of using the Optical viewfinder to manually focus lenses.. this is ideal. LCD attachments for the 5D were specifically motivated by the video enthusiasts. Neither is not an option on the E-P1 suggested which provides only a rear LCD to focus.
* I wasn't making a reference to everyone else's preferences towards EVF. I was stating that without EVF the Pen isn't ideal for manual lenses. Add the EVF the Pen is no longer "inexpensive".
* I didn't say that the EVF was the only way to manual focus on Pens. I said it was uncomfortable to focus using just the rear LCD.

Adaptation of many older lenses (K-mount included) is right up my alley... I do this all the time with Pentax and micro 4 3.

You should read more carefully.

None of what you said is related to my response.

* Of course the only way to focus an old Pentax lens is by the lens.. I didn't say anything contrary
* I wasn't talking about any other 5D nor making a comparison. In the case of the 5D, you have the option of using the Optical viewfinder to manually focus lenses.. this is ideal. LCD attachments for the 5D were specifically motivated by the video enthusiasts. Neither is not an option on the E-P1 suggested which provides only a rear LCD to focus.
* I wasn't making a reference to everyone else's preferences towards EVF. I was stating that without EVF the Pen isn't ideal for manual lenses. Add the EVF the Pen is no longer "inexpensive".
* I didn't say that the EVF was the only way to manual focus on Pens. I said it was uncomfortable to focus using just the rear LCD.

Adaptation of many older lenses (K-mount included) is right up my alley... I do this all the time with Pentax and micro 4 3.

Thanks for the clarification. I use other lenses (not necessary old lenses or it is cheaper) on the NEX-7 because that is what I want and I like to do it. You are probably more or less my side, however iPhoto17 [op] is addressing another issue as well. Please look up a few posts, " ...but the d3000 is cheaper to shoot with." Do you have a suggestion for iPhoto17?

Nikon and Pentax bayonets are very similar, though one goes on clockwise and the other counter-clockwise. I have mostly Pentax, but I also have a couple Nikon lenses that will lock onto my Pentax bodies. Well, they don't lock with the pin, they just get tight. I've done that occasionally, but it never occured to me to try a Pentax lens on a Nikon body. The flange to sensor distance on Nikon and Pentax are pretty close and you can probably achieve infinity focus if the aperture isn't too large. By the way, I've never seen a good review of the lensed adapters. If you try one, please let us know how it performs.

Most reactions

Back