Pentax K5, ISO 1600. I thought this was amazing for a crop sensor. AND ISO 4000

LightSpeed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Recently, I made a new friend. Not easy to do.......especially for me.
At any rate, so happens, he has a Pentax K5. Since I have one on order, we got to talking about its " higher ISO capabilities.
He was kind enough to send these sample images, " straight out of the camera" at ISO 1600. There has been NO noise reduction, nor any tampering other than, I did zip the exposure up in lightroom3 which creates noise and banding.
Nothing else was added or taken away.

I'm fairly amazed by this. I just thought I would pass it on.

This is not my image. Which it is why it's copyright watermarked to the owner.

Keep in mind that this is only a sample image to demonstrate the K5's IQ. Mr. Hasty has some beautiful captures in his arsenal. And he's a damn nice guy too.

I CANT WAIT TO GET MY HANDS ON THIS THING! lol
This looks like ISO200 from my current K7. Or thereabout.
It's not bad...

ISO 1600
6351851769_200d8fcc35_b.jpg

THIS BLEW ME AWAY....................MR. HASTY'S SAMPLE NUMBER 2
ISO 4000

STRAIGHT OUT OF THE CAMERA - 0 TAMPERING
6351881697_f85467f0cb_b.jpg

Wow, that is pretty tasty High ISO performance. Post the rest of the EXIF for those?

In camera NR (chrominance). Looks good. But not SOOC as the blank EXIF fields show.

ACK!!!
Come to think of it flickr hides that.

Let me see what I can do.

bit depth - 24
f-5.6
1/640
iso speed- iso 4000
Exposure bias , -0.3
35mm focal length - 450
Metering mode - pattern
No flash
Resolution - 4928x3264

Shot as a Jpeg , NOT Raw.

Unbelievable.

Man this is how it came out of the camera.
I just can't believe it.

In camera NR (chrominance). Looks good. But not SOOC as the blank EXIF fields show.

I didn't even think about that.
In camera noise reduction may be turned on.

But still.
ISO 4000????????
God almighty!

Those images are coming from a VERY capable Sony sensor, which sits inside of a camera that has very low-noise read electronics...I saw a MASSIVE, deliberate under-exposure test done with this Pentax back when it was first released. The owner took a photo at lowest ISO, but he set the shutter in manual AS IF the ISO setting had been jacked up to over 50,000 (fifty thousand). The image straight out of the camera was totally black, but when opened and "rescued", the image was actually what I would call between good and very good. Simply amazing.

Those images are coming from a VERY capable Sony sensor, which sits inside of a camera that has very low-noise read electronics...I saw a MASSIVE, deliberate under-exposure test done with this Pentax back when it was first released. The owner took a photo at lowest ISO, but he set the shutter in manual AS IF the ISO setting had been jacked up to over 50,000 (fifty thousand). The image straight out of the camera was totally black, but when opened and "rescued", the image was actually what I would call between good and very good. Simply amazing.

I have always thought that Pentax could be a very capable competitor to Nikon / Canon. Any insight on why they don't step up?

they do step up...the use of the sensor and their hardware combination is 'stepping up' by all intensive purposes; the problem is that Nikon and Canon (esp Canon) is key brands that are always out there with their adverts and their position within the professional market. that trickles down to how consumers perceive these manufacturers...

After I bought my D7000 I realized that it was just the K5 but slightly worse in every way. The issue is the lens selection and while admittedly I have limited knowledge in terms of Pentax lenses but just from a cursory glance at my local craigslist suggest they aren't very popular and finding lenses would be hard. I feel as though if they had a full frame offering professionals would definitely consider using Pentax but as it stands they have a medium format (which I believe has been moderately well received by pros, at least I seem to see it in a lot of magazines and TV shows) and a bunch of crop cameras.

ose images are coming from a VERY capable Sony sensor, which sits inside of a camera that has very low-noise read electronics...I saw a MASSIVE, deliberate under-exposure test done with this Pentax back when it was first released. The owner took a photo at lowest ISO, but he set the shutter in manual AS IF the ISO setting had been jacked up to over 50,000 (fifty thousand). The image straight out of the camera was totally black, but when opened and "rescued", the image was actually what I would call between good and very good. Simply amazing.
Why is that ? NR at the sensor rather than after A/D conversion?

i think what really *should* happen is if its sensor only and there is no Pentax-tweaking; Nikon/Canon should get one of those and do their tweaks to it (imagine that). but also the reason their medium format is doing so well i think has mostly to do with price point above all else. but lens selection is a problem but if you can live with MF you do have Zeiss...

i think what really *should* happen is if its sensor only and there is no Pentax-tweaking; Nikon/Canon should get one of those and do their tweaks to it (imagine that). but also the reason their medium format is doing so well i think has mostly to do with price point above all else. but lens selection is a problem but if you can live with MF you do have Zeiss...
I have the 645D and there are lenses out there if you look for them. I have the 33-55 f/4.5 45 f/2.8, 55 f/2.8 55-110 f/5.6 75 f/2.8 80 - 160 f/5.6 120mm f/4 macro 400 f/5.6. The 400 is surprisingly light and small if you compare it with say a Canon 400 prime. It is possible to handhold (obviuously keeping SS above 400 where poss. The camera itself is about the same weight as my Canon 5d mkII

really? i thought you could only use 645D lenses or is it compatible with their older lenses?

but when i meant lens selection i meant Pentax offerings within their 'current' line; without the need to go back very far in time to find them. also are they all Pentax or also non-Pentax...not familiar with the Pentax family. very curious to know...as ive wanted to recommend Pentax cameras but dont know enough. just know what ive read bout the K5...

You can use any of the film 645 lenses. There are two lenses primed for digital the DFA 55 f/2.8 and the DFA 25mm f/4 which is difficult to get hold of (and about £5000!). You can also use 67 lenses with an adaptor. The FA 75 f/2.8 and FA 120 f/4 macro are VERY sharp indeed.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back