Pentax to Nikon body adapter

erbear28

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everyone I'm new here. I picked up a Nikon D5300 a coupe weeks ago and before I go spending money on more lenses, my dad has a few old Pentax K-mount lenses and I've seen a couple ad peters to mount these lenses to my Nikon body. I was thinking of picking up this adapter FotodioX Pro Lens Mount Adapter for Pentax K Lens to PK-NK-G B&H
Anyone have experience with this adapter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. Adaption sucks. Usually not even automatic aperture - you have to close the aperture by hand yourself before you shoot. Also no autofocus, image stabilization, exif data ...

2. You cannot adapt anything to Nikon F because Nikon has the largest flange distance. Thus the only way to do any adaption is either losing infinity as a focus distance (you can only focus close) or to have corrective optics which of course cost image quality.

This is the only thing that works with Nikon F:

Leica & Pentax & Nikon | Leitax

Only Leica R, Zeiss Contax, or Olympus Zuiko-OM lenses can be changed to Nikon F. And they lose every functionality, including automatic aperture.

Unlike Solarflare I like adapting lenses, but I have to agree with the remainder of his posts. Nikon cameras are not good for adapting!

The adapter you linked to has corrective optics (effectively a 1.4x teleconverter) Using it the nature of the lenses will be very different than they where designed to produce, camera & adapter combine to give an effective crop factor of about 2, so only rare legacy Pentax lenses (wider than 24mm) will give a view that's not at least a slight telephoto. The adapter will not allow aperture control on the more recent Pentax lenses.

If the old Pentax lenses available include some high quality telephotos, and you want to make use of long lenses, can handle manual focusing etc. then it might well be worth trying. If the lenses are only fairly normal models, you'd be better off spending the forty bucks on older Nikon lenses.

One other possibility, many of the legacy Pentax mount lenses I have are from the Tamron Adaptall 2 range. These were sold with adapters for all common lens mounts. If any of your dads lenses are from this range you could just replace the PK mount with a Nikon version, and leave yourself a manual Nikon lens.

Most reactions

Back