Pentax?

First, the 10D is out of my price range. And second, I read dpreview and apparently it isn't as sharp as others. While the 100D can only take four pics in burst (kind of a bummer for me), I'd rather have good sharpness than be able to have unlimited burst shots.

The sharpness issue is only in Jpeg... and the settings are variable. With RAW it doesn't matter at all, and you may find that you shoot important stuff (or possibly everything) in RAW. As you say though there is a price difference. So like you said it's basically down to what you think of those three cameras when you compare them in-store.

First, the 10D is out of my price range. And second, I read dpreview and apparently it isn't as sharp as others. While the 100D can only take four pics in burst (kind of a bummer for me), I'd rather have good sharpness than be able to have unlimited burst shots.
That's the thing that many of us are trying to drive home. Although the in-depth technical reviews of the cameras can be useful, they sometimes make a big deal out of something even an enthusiast will not notice.

For instance, when I was researching my purchase, the Canon Rebel XT was better than the Pentax K100D in a few ways. It has higher resolution, and slightly better color accuracy. But those differences are on such a micro level that I would never notice it without sophisticated instruments. With several cameras in the same class, it pays to base your decision on something other than these microscopic differences.

I wasn't convinced that Pentax would be the one until I held it, and compared it to the Nikon D40, D50, Canon XT & XTi. Truthfully, I was ready to buy the Canon just based on the write-ups. I'm glad I didn't. The Canons were the first to be eliminated for me, because they just didn't feel good. I asked to see the K100D just as an aside, because Pentax "used to be a respected brand". I immediately fell in love with it.

Another member here had the same reaction when he held the Nikon. It was more comfortable for him, and he liked the placement of the dials & buttons better. They were more intuitive for him.

Another group of people like the Minoltas/Sonys because more of the major things are on switches, rather than buried in menus.

90% of the time, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between large prints shot with different cameras in the same class, so you really shouldn't base your decision on that. Not that you wouldn't be happy with your choice, just that you might have been happier with another choice, one that is technically "inferior".

I drooled over the K10D last time I was in the Wolf where I bought my K100D. Very nice camera. Nicer than my K100D, I'll admit. But the price is enough higher that it was not in the running.

Bottom line: It's what's right for you, individually, not what's right for our favorite pixel-counting, resolution-chart-reading fellow in England. :D Phil does point out some more useful things too, ergonomic things, user-friendliness things. These are the things you should keep in mind when you go to "test drive" the cameras.

I had a chance to hold a Nikon D40 and a Canon Rebel XTi. I much prefer the feel of the Nikon over the Canon. I've still yet to hold the Pentax though.

Canon's out for me though (CF cards also contributed. I've already got SD cards!).

Most reactions

Back