People covered in honey

Do you have any babies?

If I were asked to do this with my 19 month old I know how I'd do it. She'd watch some other people get doused. She'd taste the honey and feel it.

She's not dumb. She would either ask to get in on the dumping action by pointing excitedly, or she would not.

If, and only if, she asked, we'd shoot.

Just because you're 18 months old doesn't mean you're not a person capable of giving consent.

Yes, i have babies so i guess im allowed to comment on this?
you could take that exact same argument and put a whole lot of other things under it...would you still agree?
try it with...oh, i dunno...
Religion.
Nutrition.
Bathing.
stupid baby outfits.

If your kid liked the honey and wasn't scared by people covered in it, would you let them do this shoot with your kid?

I just think this is pretty much a circular argument where what is going on is not a legal concern, but a parenting one.
you can disagree with a parenting issue, but in the end, it is the parents decision.
I can disagree with a parenting issue but still respect their rights as parents to make the decisions for their children.

Oh anyone can comment and have an opinion. But if you have babies you're likely to be a lot more familiar with how and what they can communicate.

No I don't let her drive just because she wants to and oh does she.

Would I let her play in honey if she wanted and there was both honey and a bath available? Sure. Just because I let her choose some things doesn't mean I abdicate my parenting responsibilities.

The point is that it is at last possible to do a shoot like this without being irresponsible or mean. How was it actually done? No idea.

(ETA: Wow my phone makes some awesome word salad sometimes)

Last edited:
I have watched many movies where I was disturbed by the obvious distress a baby was under for the sake of a film or tv show.

Circumcision? Ear piercing as an infant?...who gives consent here? Not the baby...is it abuse?

There are plenty of parenting choices I don't agree with. I don't know if I would label this honey thing as abusive. But yeah, I think morally it is wrong to subject a young subject to distress for the sake of making art.

I have watched many movies where I was disturbed by the obvious distress a baby was under for the sake of a film or tv show.

Circumcision? Ear piercing as an infant?...who gives consent here?

There are plenty of parenting choices I don't agree with. I don't know if I would label this honey thing as abusive. But yeah, I think morally it is wrong to subject a young subject to distress for the sake of making art.

I think pushing religion on a child is abusive.
or a vegetarian/vegan diet.
and especially

crap...
we all better stop here before this thread spirals out of control and we all crash and burn.
I think we should just focus on the images as an art form and keep it there.

Last edited:
BANZAIIIIIIII

ART IS CRAP CANON IS BEST PLEASE EXPLAIN DOF!

Personally I think the guy is just kinky. That's what I thought from the start. I was like, yep, this guy's kinky. Then I saw the couple doing the nasty all covered in honey, and I was like YEP definitely kinky.

Then I saw the dog, and was like, uhm, ok ... look but don't touch, I guess.

Drew the line at the baby though.

As far as the infant is concerned, I would be extremely anxious about safety issues, e.g. the child rubbing it in his/her eyes, the honey getting in the ear canal or nasal passages, probably even getting a pediatrician sign-off or even supervision of the shoot, and having some pretty strong procedures in place with parents/assistants/etc about safety. I didn't see the video, but I would hope the photographer in charge had all those ducks in a row ...

I have a hard time agreeing with the person who said that 18-month-olds are not incapable of giving consent. I would have to say that they mostly are incapable of consent, at least to things that require any kind of consideration of consequences. I think a person at that age is, to a large degree, helpless, and almost entirely dependent on adults to make the right decisions for them.

That said ... I found the images very creative and visually arresting.

I meant consent, not informed consent. The informed part would be on me. Honey is not poison, for crying out loud. Do you have any experience with the crap children make inside their noses all by themselves? It's a lot nastier than honey.

I meant consent, not informed consent. The informed part would be on me. Honey is not poison, for crying out loud. Do you have any experience with the crap children make inside their noses all by themselves? It's a lot nastier than honey.

Oh yeah! I had a son, he would get into all kinds of stuff :) And to be fair, there were a lot of things our folks let us do as kids, that would strike terror in my heart nowadays ... and myself and all my childhood friends turned out just fine.

And, no, of course honey isn't poison ... I would just be worried about safety ... but then again I'm a very risk-averse type of person, probably more than I need to be, much of the time.

I didn't mean to say I thought you were wrong, necessarily, just that I came to a different conclusion. Maybe I'm not looking at all the angles.:cool:

They DID pose the kid back to the camera, and I assume it's because they were a lot less liberal with the honey.

Neither I nor my kids would let anyone cover their faces with honey. So, yeah, we all got limits as to what we consider reasonable.

The age for children to be able to safely eat honey is 1 year old. This info. from NIH states under 'Prevention' to NEVER give even a little taste to a child younger than that. It also says there are about 100 cases of infant botulism a year.

Botulism MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia

Even if the child in the photo is older than 1 year of age, this to me seems like an excessive amount to pour over a toddler.

I find the images gimmicky and sophomoric.

To each his own, I suppose.

All I could think of was the mess they would make in the shower! LOL, very creative, daring almost

Most reactions

New Topics

Back