People help... (updated 3-27)

Discussion in 'People Photography' started by Nwcid, Feb 25, 2018.

1. pixmedic

pixmedic The Mustached Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    i never really understood the "fake" -vs- "natural" debate....well, for photos anyway.
    a "natural" pose (whatever that means) is only good as far as the clients ability to manage on their own, which is usually quite poor. the minute you direct them in any way, congratulations...you now have a "posed" shot. I totally wouldn't even bother worrying about what is posed, or natural, or whatever you want to call it...just focus on doing whatever is needed to provide the best photo you can.
    that being said, your biggest issue with #1 is that the face is not in focus, or is just very soft focus. either way, its not one i would give a client.
    they are all shot landscape, but i don't really see the value in the extra space for most of them and would have personally shot 2 and 3 in portrait orientation. maybe 1 as well, depending on how it looked cropped tall.
    the locations are fantastic, but all of them look like they are forcing a smile, and the crossed arms in the third just make her look bored while she is faking a smile. a little direction and *ahem* posing would have gone a long way here.

which 70-300 lens is that? I had the VRII version and while it was a decent performer for the dog park, i found it to be a little soft.
    for portraits, (when i shot Nikon) i really loved my 85mm. I used that lens almost as much as my 70-200 for people shots.
    a great budget portrait lens is the Nikon 85mm f1.8D, which can be had for ~$300 used. a 50mm f1.4D can be had pretty cheaply as well, although the newer 50mm f1.8G might be an overall better performer than its older, albeit faster, counterpart.

heres a few of my "natural" shots.

[​IMG]DSCF5230 by pixmedic, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSC_5685 by pixmedic, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSC_1238 by pixmedic, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSC_1248 by pixmedic, on Flickr

2. Vtec44

Vtec44 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Pretty much ...

3. Nwcid

Nwcid No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    It has been a long week......

Those are good points about "properly posed", and yes that does make them better.

My 70-300 is a VR, not a VR II. I purchased it in 2009 with my D90. Of the lenses I have, it was the most "appropriate".

I have often heard good things about the 85mm class. While it is not overly expensive, it can be depending on how much I plan on using it. Right now I am looking at a 24-70 2.8, likely soon after a 70-200 2.8 and hopefully a full frame body also within the next few months.

If I was going to get an 85mm it looks like I have 3 main choices (in price order), Nikon 1.8, Tamron VC 1.8 and Nikon 1.4.
    Is there any real advantage to going to either of the more expensive ones? I am a person that if there is something "better" and I can reasonably afford it, I would rather "buy once, cry once".

I have considered a 50mm on and off, but they seem to get such mixed reviews. I know there are ton of different ones on the market, but they seem to have narrow scope of "great" uses.

4. Nwcid

Photos OK to edit
    Apparently I am really struggling with the people thing of photography. I have read tons online and watched a ton of Youtube stuff about shooting this kind of content.

In my opinion my people are still coming out soft. I am using same equipment with same settings and getting good results with anything but people.

Any thoughts, I am here to learn.

DSC_3785.jpg Screen Shot 2018-03-19 at 3.02.46 PM.jpg

[​IMG]

Screen Shot 2018-03-19 at 4.36.43 PM.jpg

Sorry, this one was shot with the Nikon 50mm 1.8G
    [​IMG]

Screen Shot 2018-03-19 at 3.04.37 PM.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  5. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    You have probably already done this, but here are some enlarged crops of the two photos you posted:

Screen Shot 2018-03-19 at 6.22.19 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-03-19 at 6.23.47 PM.png

I guess I'm not seeing the issue that you are. Aren't they about the same?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Designer

Photos OK to edit
    These two shots are with two different lenses, at different distances, and with different shutter speeds. So how can you compare them equally?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Nwcid

Photos OK to edit
    I clicked on the wrong pic to upload. I bought both a 50mm and an 85. I will fix that right now.

8. Nwcid

Photos OK to edit
    While the eyes are close, I am mostly looking at skin texture. Not that Bufford has skin, but I feel like the skin on her face is, grainy, for lack of a better word.

I only used a dog for comparison since it was the same equipment.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  9. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    I looked at the photo of the young woman...you uploaded a 1.2 MB JPEG, which is only average in sharpness...I would expect a higher-quality image from a JPEG of that size. One issue: it was shot at f/1.8, which is wide-open, which is NEVER the best f/stop for sharpness. It was at ISO 100, and at 1/3200 second. The total DOF band is listed at 0.35 meters, or about one foot. I can see that the picture is fairly well-focused, but again, wide-open at f/1.8, I would _NOT_ expect the lens to be performing anywhere near its optimum level. For optimum performance, I think you'd see that at f/4 or so, due to diffraction's effects, and a bit deeper DOF at f/4.5 to f/5.6.

Anyway...I have no idea how the image was sharpened, from the RAW file; that step is critical when making a large JPEG, or a small one, for that matter.

If you have VC (Vibration Control) set to ON, at 1/3200 second, that could easily have affected the overall sharpness in a negative way. At speeds faster than about 1/500, VC should almost certainly be switched to OFF.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Designer

Photos OK to edit
    Yes, I got that. Dog photo was with the 50mm, the girl was taken with the Tamron 85mm.

The difference in lenses and distances, shutter speeds, lighting, and all the rest make for an unreliable test.

Try the same subject with different lenses, or different subjects with as close to the same equipment as you can get, including lighting and camera settings.

11. Nwcid

Photos OK to edit
    Anytime I try and upload a file over 1.5 MB I get a warning box that says the file is too large. I have been exporting to this site in the "limit file size to 1,500 K.

DOF with people is where I think part of my struggle comes in. I thought the point of having faster lenses was to shoot with wider apertures so you can get more bokeh. If I am moving to higher f stops, won't more of my background be coming into focus?

I will keep that in mind about the VC.

12. Nwcid

Photos OK to edit

I did upload the original pic shot with the same lens and same f stop. The shutter speed and lighting was different for sure.

I will have another chance to shoot this weekend and I will try some of that. This style of shooting is new to me.