Performance difference bewteen AF or AF-S on D750?

Joe_Photo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
In the context of what the average photographer will experience, what are the performance differences between comparable AF and AF-S lenses?

Bottom line up front:
I made the decision to go FX with a D750. That was the easy part. Now I need to figure out lenses. Specifically I need help confirming if AF lenses are a good fit.

Background:
I'm making the jump from Canon to Nikon and DX to FX with the D750. I do a lot of shooting for dog rescues. Some are more structured pet portrait shoots but what really grabs attention and what I enjoy more are action photos and candid shots outdoors. I find I need to do capture a lot of motion in low light; most of the time without flash or artificial light. The D750 seems a great fit with the auto-focus system and high ISO support.

I’m not brand specific – quality of images is most important. I anticipate my mix being a 20 or 24 f/2.8; 50 f/2.8; and an 85 f1/8 for deliberate shooting. For adhoc or vacation/travel/candid shooting I’m looking at a 35 f/2; and/or a fixed aperture zoom – like a 24-85, 24-120, or thereabouts.

All appearances suggest I can save quite a bit of money if I get AF vice AF-S lenses; particularly if I can find them used. Is there something I am not considering? Does the lens focus motor work faster or better than the camera body motor?

I understand lens motors are quieter than body motors but that's not a big deal to me. AF-S offers the M/A mode. That sounds handy but I don’t have that now so not sure I care about not getting that capability.

Thanks for your help,
Joe

Most reactions

Back