Pet Photography????

dogsinfocus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi

I'm trying to shoot my dog inside the house using my window as light -- and each time a take a picture and she moves it is blurry - like if she moves her paws or licks her self those parts of the photo look blurry

I'm using manual mode and i do bring up the shutter speed to 320 to 500 but then my images looks so dark and my iso is around 200 and aperture is 2.8 and I'm not facing the window to take a picture I'm sitting on the window and pointing the camera towards my animal on the couch

Please help figure out how i can shoot a movie animal in my house with this Canon D5 Mark III and Canon 70-200mm Lens

I even tried Aperture Priority Mode but then the shutter speed is not very high so the image still looks blurry

Thanks

I suppose you could bump up the iSO even higher, given your desire to use only window light.

what are you using equipment wise? what kind of picture are you trying to take, something candid or something staged?
backdrops, tables, and a a couple off camera speed lights work wonders.
fast lenses and/or additional lighting may be needed depending on what you are already using.
a reflector might get the job done as well depending on the light coming in.

this is our Husky, Bear. he was a rescue, and we had him for almost 12 years before he passed away.
Why someone left him wandering in the street we have no idea, but he was a wonderful dog.
didnt take very many pictures of him though. kinda wish we had now.

View attachment 43856

Crack open the manual again and read up on metering and how to read the meter. You've got to keep an eye on the camera meter icon in the viewfinder otherwise you'll end up underexposing your photos - which is what you are getting in manual mode because the camera can only open the aperture up to f2.8 and no further.

At that point if you need more shutter speed then you've only two options:

1) Increase the light levels (ambient or use flash)

2) Raise the ISO, a properly exposed photo with a higher ISO will give you less noise than one which uses a lower ISO but is underexposed (dark)

For reference you want at least 1/focal length for your shutter speed and for action if the dog is running or moving around at least 1/500sec.

I'm using canon d5 mark iii and lens 70-200mm and my dog is on the couch playing with her toys and each time i take a pic if she moves her leg it goes blurry -- I'm putting the shutter speed at around 500 and then the F 2.8 and iso around 400 and my images is very very dark it's not exposed right how can i solve this ??

Yes i know about the metering it properly exposed at 0 in the middle -- but when i move the exposure to the correct one it goes down to like 1/60 using f.28 and iso 400 and the dog moves and its out of focus

Crack open the manual again and read up on metering and how to read the meter. You've got to keep an eye on the camera meter icon in the viewfinder otherwise you'll end up underexposing your photos - which is what you are getting in manual mode because the camera can only open the aperture up to f2.8 and no further.

At that point if you need more shutter speed then you've only two options:

1) Increase the light levels (ambient or use flash)

2) Raise the ISO, a properly exposed photo with a higher ISO will give you less noise than one which uses a lower ISO but is underexposed (dark)

For reference you want at least 1/focal length for your shutter speed and for action if the dog is running or moving around at least 1/500sec.

I'm using canon d5 mark iii and lens 70-200mm and my dog is on the couch playing with her toys and each time i take a pic if she moves her leg it goes blurry -- I'm putting the shutter speed at around 500 and then the F 2.8 and iso around 400 and my images is very very dark it's not exposed right how can i solve this ??

your already at max aperture for that lens. cant do anything there.
your options are...higher ISO, more light, slower shutter speed.
if your already getting motion blur, i would try raising the ISO first.
more light is your best option. even a speedlight on the camera with a small softbox or bounced would yield good results.

a 5DIII and 70-200 is a GREAT combo. do you not have a good flash as well?

Yes i do have a canon 600ex-rt -- I'm going into Pet Photography and i herd it's not recommended to use a flash for pets

more light is your best option. even a speedlight on the camera with a small softbox or bounced would yield good results.

what would you set your flash at ??

Which of the 4 light metering modes a 5D MK III has are you using? (Page 167 of the 5D MK III user's manual)

First lets get a sharp shot without the flash, since that is basic metering that you need to understand and work with correctly before moving in to adding in flash lighting.

When you set the camera if you're not getting the shutter speed you need, raise the ISO - raise it high! Don't be afraid of the higher ISOs (The 5DMIII does very very well with them). For now you need to focus on getting a good clear shot.

You might also find that reference material such as the books:

The Digital Photography Book series by Scot Kelby (books 1 through to 4)

Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson (much of this content is likely covered in the Scot Kelby books 2-4 which whilst the set itself is popular are books I haven't read).

Light Science and Magic edition 4

there is also a AF Options with 1 to 6 Case on canon mark iii witch is best for Pet Photography ?? and witch is best out of the 4 metering modes ?

Which of the 4 light metering modes a 5D MK III has are you using? (Page 167 of the 5D MK III user's manual)

Thanks allot man -- also what metering modes would you use for pets and what AF Case 1 to 6 would you use thank you

First lets get a sharp shot without the flash, since that is basic metering that you need to understand and work with correctly before moving in to adding in flash lighting.

When you set the camera if you're not getting the shutter speed you need, raise the ISO - raise it high! Don't be afraid of the higher ISOs (The 5DMIII does very very well with them). For now you need to focus on getting a good clear shot.

You might also find that reference material such as the books:

The Digital Photography Book series by Scot Kelby (books 1 through to 4)

Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson (much of this content is likely covered in the Scot Kelby books 2-4 which whilst the set itself is popular are books I haven't read).

Light Science and Magic edition 4

the dog portrait i posted was done with an off camera flash and shoot through umbrella. some dogs might react poorly to flash i guess. if your planning to do "studio" type shots, i would use off camera flash.

OR, you can always go outside for the pictures.
I meant to crop this one a little more, but never did.
i shot this on an OLD digital camera with an OLD lens.
your 5DIII should totally rock these photos once you get the settings down.

View attachment 43861

Most reactions

Back