What's new

Pet Portraits (Am I on the right track?)

Joined
Jan 6, 2007
Messages
595
Reaction score
72
Location
Portland, OR
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The snapshots I took of my friend's two dogs a while ago were well received, so I went about trying to frame some shots in the portrait style, hoping for something that would look great printed and framed.

These are a couple of the ones I like. I tried to get down on their level avoid the "looking down" aspect. Am I on the right track as far as framing, composition, crops, etc?

Not looking to make money, just honing my amateur skills :)

1:
4553216879_9ce3518e42_b.jpg


2:
4553216389_2a1fb96ba6_b.jpg


3:
4553835930_ab3c5c0340_b.jpg


4:
4553207903_9aa1c618a7_b.jpg
 
I love how in #3 he/she looks like a bad kid who won't let Mom or Dad take a serious picture. As a pet owner I would love it.. just because of the captured "emotion".
 
#2 & #3 are my favorites! Dogs are like dolphins, always look like they're smiling! I love his/her eyes, they're so 'chinky', I don't know another way to describe it.:confused:
I think you're on the right track! They're all really great and the only fault I can find is #3's background is a bit on the dark side.
I agree w/ jajomo, you really captured the emotion and it's not just a cute picture to go aww to. (:
 
i love the last one, I love how the ears and eyes look. Great job!!
 
great shots!!
 
Thanks!

I honestly didn't even realize I caught his (yes it's a he!) expression until I was flipping through them later that night.

I was having trouble with exposure since the sun was on it's way down during my shooting, and tried to compensate as best I could in post processing (all shot in RAW, with processing done in Aperture).
 
I think they get better as they go down. i have found it seems to work if you are down on their level(which you are) but also shooting a bit down. that way you dont get distracting background and i like how it looks.

Like this picture.
4112206847_cb7e5e9749.jpg


another few inches up and it was an ugly neighbors fence with weeds and junk everywhere.
Also i think close up face shots are really great.
maybe try a tighter crop on that last on


great job catching the expressions. beautiful dogs:D

Gian

Edit: the slightly down angle and composition in 3 is great
 
Thanks for the input!

I did the slightly down angle on the last one (with the Husky mix, her name is Elka) because the background wasn't great (a deck hah). The others I felt the background added a bit to the setting, but I can see your point.
 
Also, for future shots, try not to cut off feet (or heads for that matter x_x)
#3 the feet are slightly cut off.
 
#2 looks like he has a big smile:lol:
 
I love it #3 especially I'm gonna post one I took awhile ago I cut her ears off a tad but she still looks super cute :D

Jetta.jpg
 
^the background is in focus, not your subject.....

And I don't think this is a 'post your pet pictures' thread, no need to hijack lol


To the OP, I like #1 the most because 2/3 he/she has their eyes closed. Such a sweeeeet puppy :)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom