Petri 7s rangefinder problem

JonK

I want MORE!!
Reaction score
Website
www.jonkilimnikphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I recently purchsed a Petri 7s rangefinder on ebay.
The rangefinder thingies don't line up and I want to try fixing it myself. I found some instructions but am a little nervous I'm going to muck it up.

anybody out there done this before? (yoohoo!...mitica ;) ) if you've done it to the Petri that would be even better!
any advice is welcome. :D

here's a linkto info on this camera: http://www.photoethnography.com/ClassicCameras/index-frameset.html?Petri7s.html~mainFrame

oooo, that is one purdy camera. :thumbup: Congrats!

I've seen directions on rangefinder repair/realignment, too, and I wouldn't touch it. :lol: Too scared, no question.

I'll wait for Mitica to weigh in, too. I'm curious if he's done rangefinders in addition to his other restorations.

It is pretty cool...kind of a gun metal colour with this cool green rangefinder window...i actually bought two of them...havent received the other one yet.

JonK said:
I recently purchsed a Petri 7s rangefinder on ebay.
The rangefinder thingies don't line up and I want to try fixing it myself. I found some instructions but am a little nervous I'm going to muck it up.

anybody out there done this before? (yoohoo!...mitica ;) ) if you've done it to the Petri that would be even better!
any advice is welcome. :D

here's a linkto info on this camera: http://www.photoethnography.com/ClassicCameras/index-frameset.html?Petri7s.html~mainFrame

Hey Jon, I haven't ever touched a Petri. They're very nice cams and yours is a classic. As for fiddling with the RF, I would suggest to find a way to take the top off. Once it comes off then you'll see the RF assembly and little levers that move the mirror(s) back and forth. These levers are probably very gooey from the bad oil/grease they've used and all you need to do to free them is dropping some Naphta on which has a few drops of NyOil (or any other fine watchmaker's oil) and let dry. That should free up the RF mechanism. Just be careful so you don't let too much Naphta go into the RF, it can adversely affect the mirrors/beam splitters. BTW, take some pictures of each step you're taking so you can use it later or even give us an idea how you worked it out.

Good luck buddy!

Mitica100 said:
BTW, take some pictures of each step you're taking so you can use it later or even give us an idea how you worked it out.

Good luck buddy!
or mucked it up for that matter :lol:

I'm using Ronsonol lighter fluid...is that naptha?

I'm just worried there's some springy bits or sumthin inside the top that'll pop out and I won't get em back in right...just have to wing it I guess. Thanks loads for the advice mitica :D

Yeah, Ronsonol is Naphta with a fancy name. :D

OK...I had to take the whole rangefinder housing off....gulp...i dunno what to do next....I don't know what to do in order to get the focus to line up properly and am also worried about getting it put back on properly.

You wouldn't have a link to some good info on rangefinder alignment in general would you?
This one does not have any prisms that are glued together...just a series of mirrors and whatnot...guess this cam is my guinea pig:er:

help me

I have two petri 7s cameras. Both from ebay, the first is perfect in every way. The second the lens won't even trip. It makes the click but nothing happens. Now that you are a certified repairman, i will give you the broken one if you want to pay the shipping on it.

mysteryscribe said:
I have two petri 7s cameras. Both from ebay, the first is perfect in every way. The second the lens won't even trip. It makes the click but nothing happens. Now that you are a certified repairman, i will give you the broken one if you want to pay the shipping on it.
:lol: certified repairman! :lol:
have you tried the naptha on the shutter blades trick? Worked for me on another camera.
If you don't wanna bother I would be interested in the camera...unless you live on Mars or something ;) :D

I'll PM you.

Incidentally upon closer inspection I discovered one of the mirrors was actually broken at the corner and was floating somewhat loosely in the rangefinder housing...could be reglued but what a hassle and I don't have the proper glue I don't think...I guess contact cement would do?

Most reactions

Back