Petrol Sunglass Shoot

NickJ

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just shot this for a review I did on some Petrol Sunglasses. The company was super pumped on the photos and asked for them so they could post them up. Any criticism is welcome. I am fragile so be nice. Still pretty new to the SLR format.

petrol-1.jpg

petrol-2.jpg

petrol-3.jpg

petrol-4.jpg

petrol-5.jpg

petrol-6.jpg

petrol-7.jpg

petrol-8.jpg

petrol-9.jpg

petrol-10.jpg

petrol-11.jpg

petrol-12.jpg

petrol-13.jpg

Last edited:
For the most part I think the product position and composition is fine, but what bothers me is the lighting. One of the keys to product photography is making sure that the product stands out, and in a number of these ( most notably 1,2,4,5, 8, and 11) the sunglasses don't appear as prominent in the image as I would expect. For instance, in #5, the bottom half really blends in with the motorcycle seat, and in #11, all that's really apparent is half of one lens and one temple-piece. I think some careful use of a reflector to fill in would have taken these from good to really good.

So what you are saying is that these photos are decent for having nothing more than a camera, two motos, a pair of glasses, and one guy. :)

I don't know if I meant these to be product photos, although I can see how they "should" have been. I meant them more as lifestyle photos. I am by no means a professional photographer. The thought of setting up lighting, and using reflectors are a bit beyond me, so thank you for the input.

Ahhh, gotcha. I didn't quite understand that aspect. Makes sense now (of course you could always hang around here more and learn how to use lighting and reflectors! ;) ).

Heck yeah! I look forward to hearing the input that you guys have. So much experience here.

I want to develop my skills, and learn new techniques. So far, I have done nothing but shoot around at friend's events and a baptism. This is the first time that I have really put any of my shots out there for the world to see.

There are 13 broken image links, but no images.
FWIW - I use Chrome for my TPF browser.

Hmmm... Works on my chrome browser. Tirediron was able to view.

Perhaps clear your cache.

What i like to see in a sales photo is something that looks authentic , your selling sunglasses to people that have a bit of an edge , give the edge to the seller so they can dream ....the model is to clean he's not a bad biker dude , the bike is to new , the helmet has no wear and looks brand new, his gloves are straight out of the pack and never touched an oil leak ....no hate with the photo's they are all fine in my eye's , just the set up of the shoot is my thoughts

HaHa! The helmet is mine, as are the gloves. Both are used daily and have loads of miles on them. Guess I need to rub em in the dirt more. ;)

The bike is new, and the review I wrote of the glasses was posted on the HondaGrom.net website. The Grom has only been available for about a week and a half. I get what you are saying totally. The "model" is actually a race driver that is sponsored by Petrol. I shot a few photos for his PPIHC campaign this year as well.

RZRX1.jpg

June2013 unfamiliar with Dslr and administrator? :meh:

Overall nice set, and good job not catching the camera or tripod in the reflection

June2013 unfamiliar with Dslr and administrator? :meh:

Overall nice set, and good job not catching the camera or tripod in the reflection

I am being honest with my familiarity with DSLR. I think that my shots speak for themselves though. If I am not being ripped apart, that is something... I could have not posted anything, and have had you all wonder if I even liked photography.

I was asked to help out by the owner of the site, so here I am as an admin. That being said, I am relatively new to the DSLR world (only a year and a half) unlike many of you that have years under your belts.

Hmmm... Works on my chrome browser. Tirediron was able to view.

Perhaps clear your cache.
I clear my cache several times a day, mostly to play WGT (World Golf Tour).

No big deal if I can't see them.

HaHa! The helmet is mine, as are the gloves. Both are used daily and have loads of miles on them. Guess I need to rub em in the dirt more. ;)

The bike is new, and the review I wrote of the glasses was posted on the HondaGrom.net website. The Grom has only been available for about a week and a half. I get what you are saying totally. The "model" is actually a race driver that is sponsored by Petrol. I shot a few photos for his PPIHC campaign this year as well.

RZRX1.jpg

The original Stig?

Anyway, those sunglasses shots are fantastic. I would say they'd be perfect as advertisements, but it seems like that's already the plan.

Most reactions

Back