Phil Keaggy

Verbal

$100
Reaction score
Just curious, has anyone heard him or heard of him?

I had the priviledge of seeing this amazing guitarist in concert one year ago, and...well, he blew my mind. He is, in my opinion, the best in the world.

What type of music does he play? I don't think I've heard of him.

I'm sure we all have our personal faves. ;)

terri said:
What type of music does he play? I don't think I've heard of him.

I'm sure we all have our personal faves. ;)

He plays all sorts... and I'm not just talking about my personal taste, but coming from a guitarist, I can say that he has more skill than anyone I have ever heard, and I've heard many. Many consider Jimi Hendrix the best in the world... well him and Phil were friends, and he's been quoted multiple times saying that Phil was better than him.

Anyhoo, he played in a band called Glass Harp in the seventies, and it's kind of psychidelic rock...very cool. And then he did some solo stuff, which is what he is still doing. He plays acoustic rock, classical, normal rock, more laid back contemporary stuff...hard to explain, but if you get a chance you should check him out!

i haven't heard of him nor have i heard of him ;)

but ill definitely check him out later, maybe tomorrow when i get some time, thanks for the suggestion

Glass Harp....doesn't ring a bell. Or maybe it's one of those bands that I don't know that I know....you know? :mrgreen:

I wasn't even thinking along the lines of Jimi Hendrix. For rock he's among the kings, no doubt, but not the only king. We had a golden era of musicianship that is sadly lacking in what passes for rock today. There are some glimmers of hope.

I was thinking of classical guitarists and someone like Christopher Parkening. When he plays Bach he can make you cry. ;)

I think the 'best guitarist in the world' debate is an interesting one, because the guitar is such a versatile instrument.

For example, if you mean in terms of innovation, producing a new sound that changed the music world, Hendrix has to be high on the list. But Jimi wasn't to everyone's taste and there's no point whatsoever trying to compare him to a classical guitarist in terms of 'bestness'.

My personal favourite is Steve Vai, who must surely rank highly in terms of technical skill and an ability to make his guitar produce really bizarre, unexpected sounds. And in the same genre, you can't neglect Joe Satriani, who taught Vai (and Kirk Hammett of Metallica, among others) to play.

If you've never heard (even of) Steve Vai, my recommended starting point would be 'For the Love of God', on the album Passion & Warfare. I saw him play this live at the Palais du Congres in Paris a couple of years ago and I'm not exaggerating when I say it was one of the most astounding performances I've ever witnessed.

That's my £0.0116123788* anyway

*At current exchange rates ;)

I seem to remember that name.... Somehow in my mind it is linked with Christian music.

Not sure though. Haven't heard him recently ,to comment on his playing abelities. Then again , liveshows always rock more than Cd's. Cd can never be the same as the real thing.

Hanno

I don't know Phil's playing that well, but good friend of mine who is also a great guitarist is friends with him. His name is Teddy Pantelas, and he's a jazz guitarist from Youngstown Ohio.

Here's a pic from his website.

tedphil2.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back