Phone camera vs Digital Camera Photo Quality

mdmosta319

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

I like to travel and capture photos. But as I am a solo traveler, I can't take my DSLR everywhere. So I have two option
- Samsung S6 or Moto G5 or Xioami
- Samsung wB35F or related simple point and shoot cam,

My question is - Do WB53F or Those tiny sensor PnS cam give same result as S6 or related phones?
How would you compare Samsung S6 vs Wb35F just for photo?

I cant comment on photo quality of any on your list with the exception of the Samsung S6 which has very good image quality and colors in good light but a couple things you may want to take note of. The battery life sucks and was my biggest grip with the S6,its not water resistant and its super slick in the hand so its easy to lose to the ground and with the all glass back you pretty much will have a shattered phone no matter how it lands face down or back plate so a case is a must have.I upgraded to the S7 which is very good with battery life and also water resistant up to 5 feet of water for up to 30 minutes not sure i would trust this but you should be safe in the event it starts to rain while taking snaps something the S6 lacks.

Last edited:
get something like a Sony RX100 class or an Olympus TG type camera.
far better image quality.

The Samsung S7 does take good photos, AND it doubles as a photo viewer, and entertainment center, and a phone, and a photo-sending device. The problem with ALL phones (except for the Moto series + 10x camera magnet-on attachment) is that they have just a semi-wide-angle lens...no telephoto lens optics, and only digital zoom-in or after the shot cropping. If semi-wide-angle photos are what you want, a good phone camera is adequate, but a compact P&S, or a high-quality, expensive P&S like the Sony RX100 or similar camera gives you a larger, better sensor than a phone camera AND more-critically, gives you the wide-angle,normal,and telephoto lens lengths that come from having a high-grade zoom lens in a real camera.

For better long-distance shots, a camera that has a decent zoom lens is better than any phone's camera.

I have the MOTO with Hasselblad attachment. It is good but not great. It does give you a 12MP 1 to 10 optical zoom but, it sucks in low light compared to the "on phone" camera. While attached to the phone it is pocketable be it heavy and a little bulky. There are a ton of videos out there demonstrating the attachment.

I have the Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus which has awesome photo quality however I prefer my DSLR over any cell phone camera.

When I've traveled recently, I took my RX100M4 and used for photos and 4K video. Southwest USA 2018 - Digital

I use my Samsung S4 and more recent S7 when I;m just around locally. Cellphone

The cell phones I find OK for snaps during the day. But the RX100 P&S (pocketable) just takes better pictures, has a zoom, blows up better with less artifacts, and has better ISO indoors. Also, in bright light when you can't seen the screen, the RX100 has a eye viewfinder so you can see what you're shooting. The RX100 has a 1" sensor unlike the typical smaller sensor of standard P&S's. Ergonomically, all P7S's handle better than cellphones. I also find phones unwieldy to hold and shoot. The RX100 can flip the screen so you can do selfies if that interests you especially if you travel alone. IF you want to email a picture, you can transfer the picture in the RX100 to you cell phone "on the fly". The RX100 is expensive, though. But I still feel there are plenty of other pocketable P&S you can use that are better IMO than a cell phone.

I can't advise concerning any Samsung items currently. The exploding battery thing turned me off of Samsung for awhile yet, so I avoid them. I get decent enough photos on my Apple iphone 5s. It has an 8MP camera...not the best, and not the worst. Everyone likes the images it produces. I take my DSLR around the world. There are a few museums, etc, which do not allow flash photos, and some which do not allow cameras of any sort. Such places will object to your using a cell phone camera. Most places won't object to any camera, though some will. A properly designed camera bag will carry a camera, and a few accessories....lenses, flash, etc...without too much discomfort. A Nikon 1 mirrorless camera-such as the S2, J4, etc-will be as small as most pocket / purse sized Point & Shoot cameras, but be able to take an FT-1 adaptor which lets the one inch sensored CX format camera use regular DX, and FX, F mount lenses. Such provides a 2.7X crop factor. So, a 50mm afs f/1.8G lens on a Nikon 1 + FT1 gives a field of view of a 135mm f/1.8 lens. A 70-300mm lens on such a camera + adaptor gives a field of view of a 189-810mm lens...in a small, light weight, package. Alternatively, you could wear something like a GoPro. There are many options available to someone who wants to travel light, and still get good photos. Do more research, and then let us know what you decide.

I took these over the summer at an installation just south of Las Vegas . The first pic is with my Samsung J7 Neo, the second with my Finepix S4500:

20180623-170911.jpg

DSCF0651.jpg

For quick stuff like this, I think the Samsung is decent enough. With the Fujifilm, I could have done more to get better photos than I did but that's the real difference between a phone and a p&s/bridge camera, IMO: You have more flexibility with a camera over a phone, even with a cheaper little point and shoot.

Took these one with Galaxy S9+. Not to bad but I would still probably look at a small 1 inch sensor camera like the Sony or Canon.
20180601_162847.jpeg
IMG_20180531_183502_466.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back