Photo assignment Paralympics Rio

imagemaker46

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
imagecommunications.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
When I covered the Paralympics in Sochi a couple years back I did a running story on the challenges I worked with, and posted pictures of the events I covered. I'm heading to Rio next week. If there is interest in me doing another "How I spent 3 weeks in Rio" I'd be happy to post on how things go. An insight into what I think is going to be a challenging shoot.

I think Rio is going to be just a LITTLE different than Sochi. Good luck, and please do post the same sort of PROGREP!

Cool ... And again good for you. I shot the '84 Olympics, it was pretty stressful.
This will be my 10th Olympics and Paralympics. Because of everything "instant" being on the clock is more stressful than ever. I know they have stripped down a lot of the media resources for Paralympics, fortunately the venues I'll be working (at this point) aren't a great distance from my hotel, getting to and from the venues will be the challenge, it's not on the media route for transportation, which has been cut.

You don't like it to be easy, do you? I remember the Winter Paralympics and you were on the side of a mountain I think shooting skiing.

Meanwhile I took some pictures of broomball a couple of weeks ago... We can just sit in the comforts of home and live vicariously thru your pictures.

Cool ... And again good for you. I shot the '84 Olympics, it was pretty stressful.
This will be my 10th Olympics and Paralympics. Because of everything "instant" being on the clock is more stressful than ever. I know they have stripped down a lot of the media resources for Paralympics, fortunately the venues I'll be working (at this point) aren't a great distance from my hotel, getting to and from the venues will be the challenge, it's not on the media route for transportation, which has been cut.
For many of the 'Big' sporting events, we used to have dudes on motorcycles transporting our film back to the office for development. They would leave every 30 minutes or so for deadlines. For the real Big Events, often we would have assistants that would rewind and reload our cameras.

This is where it begins. Accreditation was confirmed 10 months ago, stack of cash a few days ago, plane tickets a month ago, 2 flights, first one 1hr, second one 10 1/2 hours, time change 1 hour, pretty much straight down. On arrival, accreditation is confirmed at the airport, then taxi an hour to the hotel, travel time should be about 15 hours. This is worst part.

You did a great job on the posting the last time ... I like to see the Paralympic atheletes get the credit they are due.

I'd really like to see what you get down there, I find that the news coverage of the Paralympics is not very good here, it would be fantastic to have another perspective!

I loved reading and seeing your photos from last time. Looking forward to this trip.

Travel day in the bag now, long flight that went quickly, thanks to sleep. Airport arrival/customs, though in a few minutes, had accreditation confirmed there as well, all was organized and quicker than many other events I've been to. There was armed security, but no more than other international airports. Canadian communications team that I'm part of had a bus waiting for us, 45 minute ride to the hotel, in a pretty good spot, lots of hotel security, everything is gated. Only mix up had me sharing a room with the other photographer I'm working with, since been changed, 6pieces of luggage, camera gear, laptops in a room that was only just big enough for one person and no bags, also only 2 outlets, tough when we'd have at least 4 chargers/laptops/phones.

I'm across the street and a 10 minute walk to the venues I'll be covering. At this point, it will be Swimming, Wheelchair basketball, judo, goalball, wheelchair fencing, boccia, table tennis. I will be shooting swimming everyday.

Heading out on venue tours today, will post pictures when I have some. So far things have gone pretty smooth.

Most reactions

Back