• feb11photo49

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • feb11photo50

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • feb11photo51

Votes: 4 8.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
if it doesnt turn into a popularity contest.
That is a possibility with a contest like this (self portrait) on a forum where a lot of us know what people look like... When I narrowed my vote down to the top two - one was a face I recognized, one wasn't. I won't say who I voted for, but it was the one I didn't recognize because I felt it was the better self portrait.

Portrait photography or portraiture is the capture by means of photography of the likeness of a person or a small group of people (a group portrait), in which the face and expression is predominant. The objective is to display the likeness, personality, and even the mood of the subject. Like other types of portraiture, the focus of the photograph is the person's face, although the entire body and the background may be included. A portrait is generally not a snapshot, but a composed image of a person in a still position. A portrait often shows a person looking directly at the camera.

So far among the top 3 most voted, only 1 is a portrait. The others are not.

Portrait photography or portraiture is the capture by means of photography of the likeness of a person or a small group of people (a group portrait), in which the face and expression is predominant. The objective is to display the likeness, personality, and even the mood of the subject. Like other types of portraiture, the focus of the photograph is the person's face, although the entire body and the background may be included. A portrait is generally not a snapshot, but a composed image of a person in a still position. A portrait often shows a person looking directly at the camera.

So far among the top 3 most voted, only 1 is a portrait. The others are not.

If the photos should follow such strict rules then they should be posted at the start of the contest. For example when I think of portrait the person does not have to look strait into the camera.

I agree though that a lot of them don't really classify as portrait.

Well as long as the face is the predominant thing about the picture then its ok in my opinion. But its not supposed to be a snapshot but look posed. But at the very least there should be a dominant face feature. Shadows and bushes and silhouettes arent portraits no matter how nice the photo may look. And when someone says its to be a self portrait, then how much more clear should it be stated? But this problem with people submitting pics that dont come anywhere near what was asked is not just a problem here, but it seems to run rampant on every photo forum. It baffles me and so far I cant find an explanation. I guess since the dialogue is going on here Id like to ask those who submitted silhouettes, shadows and forests -- what were you thinking?

Well as long as the face is the predominant thing about the picture then its ok in my opinion. But its not supposed to be a snapshot but look posed. But at the very least there should be a dominant face feature. Shadows and bushes and silhouettes arent portraits no matter how nice the photo may look. And when someone says its to be a self portrait, then how much more clear should it be stated? But this problem with people submitting pics that dont come anywhere near what was asked is not just a problem here, but it seems to run rampant on every photo forum. It baffles me and so far I cant find an explanation. I guess since the dialogue is going on here Id like to ask those who submitted silhouettes, shadows and forests -- what were you thinking?

In all fairness, many of the people who submit here are new to photography. I think when most people think of a self portrait, they think of a photograph that they are in... that's it... Not a photograph that they are looking at the camera, or a photograph that they posed for. Simply a photograph that they are in. I actually appear in many of my photographs, in fact, so much so, that my own wife and family don't recognize me in the actual photograph. Take this image, for example

Loxroad.jpg

That's me, yet I don't see that as a self portrait. At the same time, I think many people on here would, simply because the man who fired the trigger is in the shot. Either way, it doesn't matter what you or I think, it matters what the voters think. Like I said before, many people who frequent here are new to photography, so if that is their definition, then that's what's going to win. If you want to enter challenges where people are really strict about the topic and the competition is steep then P.M. me and I'll send you the website (I don't want to seem like I'm propping up another site here so I'm not posting it publicly) Anyway, try to keep in mind that the challenge topic is really defined here by the voters, no matter what the true definition may be.

Well then maybe its time they learned what a self portrait is so they can do it right the next time the subject comes up. Being new to photography isnt the same as being an idiot. I think some of the entries were a product of someone trying to be too clever and to demonstrate their thinking outside the box. Its just that some are just too clever for their own good.

Well then maybe its time they learned what a self portrait is so they can do it right the next time the subject comes up. Being new to photography isnt the same as being an idiot. I think some of the entries were a product of someone trying to be too clever and to demonstrate their thinking outside the box. Its just that some are just too clever for their own good.

Well, by this definition, then I guess Pablo Picasso and Salvador Dali were also complete and utter idiots for their self portraits... and by the way, no one here is an idiot just because they do not meet your rigid definition of a self portrait... In fact, I applaud people who push the boundaries, I certainly didn't hold it against any entries. Obviously the top three photos struck a chord with the voters, if your shot didn't, then its on you...

First, an argument is a claim supported by defensible reason. Bynx, you put forth an argument. You are arguing.

Abiding by your strict standards would stall creativity. In the world of art, a self portrait can range from your absolute definition, all the way to an image that is a conceptual state of being with no figural representation of self at all. I don't really understand why you are miffed by this contest.

Ok, lets use this challenge as an example. What's asked for is a self portrait. If not sure what that is look up the definition. And within the parameters of that definition come up with a photo. Now youre saying that by being forced to confine yourself to the definition of a self portrait that that is stalling creativity. Well how about sticking to the definition and being forced to be more creative? The point Im trying to make is that when there is a challenge and if the subject is a dog, there are people who will submit their cat, a bird, or a 56 Plymouth. And if I'm miffed as you say, Im not sure what it is over......the people who submit those things or the mods here who allow them in the challenge in the first place. If I was running this I would return the pics to those people and tell them that is not what was asked and to do it again. After seeing the attitudes of some people here Id say the challenges should just be whatever you like and most popular pic wins. Just dont ever pick a subject as that is completely arbitrary. Now that I know that I know what to expect now. So no more miffing from me.

Ok, lets use this challenge as an example. What's asked for is a self portrait. If not sure what that is look up the definition. And within the parameters of that definition come up with a photo. Now youre saying that by being forced to confine yourself to the definition of a self portrait that that is stalling creativity. Well how about sticking to the definition and being forced to be more creative? The point Im trying to make is that when there is a challenge and if the subject is a dog, there are people who will submit their cat, a bird, or a 56 Plymouth. And if I'm miffed as you say, Im not sure what it is over......the people who submit those things or the mods here who allow them in the challenge in the first place. If I was running this I would return the pics to those people and tell them that is not what was asked and to do it again. After seeing the attitudes of some people here Id say the challenges should just be whatever you like and most popular pic wins. Just dont ever pick a subject as that is completely arbitrary. Now that I know that I know what to expect now. So no more miffing from me.
It´s this kind of argument that makes people not to participate in these kind of contests. For me the point was to try to participate in something that would have anything to do with me while being or trying to be a photographer. That was my interpretation about it… If I knew that participating I was taking the chance of being called stupid or something like that I wouldn´t definitely participate.
Congrats… I believe You just took the fun of it for a lot of people… :(

My comments were started after the close of the photo submission. They are only to be voted on. Im sorry to hear that you feel, that because you cant submit anything you want, in spite of being asked for something in particular, is spoiling your fun. Maybe next time it will be a free for all.

It´s this kind of argument that makes people not to participate in these kind of contests. For me the point was to try to participate in something that would have anything to do with me while being or trying to be a photographer. That was my interpretation about it… If I knew that participating I was taking the chance of being called stupid or something like that I wouldn´t definitely participate.
Congrats… I believe You just took the fun of it for a lot of people… :(

Don't stress Gulfman, submitting a photo to a contest that was your interpretation is not stupid at all... What makes art great is that it's not bound by definition. I don't know which shot was yours, but I would gladly give you an honest opinion on it if you want. Oh and one last thing, calling out shots openly during voting is absolutely classless, and its grounds for disqualification on another site that I participate on. I would like to see that rule implemented here. Steering the voters in any direction is certainly not fair...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back