Photo Editing Program(s)

jefflesh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Currently I am using Canon's Photo Digital Professional and taking my pictures in RAW format. I think that I am starting to understand the exposures settings so my pictures are starting to come out better. My next question is, what theories behind the editing programs. I hear a lot of people talking about adjusting curves, painting on pictures, shadows, stuff like that.

I have played around with some of the sliders until I get pictures to a point where I think they look good, but who am I. Coming from a technical background, I would think that there is some theory to editing photos. If this is the case, can someone recommend a good site, information, book, etc. which explains the theory of photo editing?

For example. Photo shop has a heck of a lot of adjustments that can be made to a photo. The problem is I am not sure when I should use them and which ones I should be using and why. I think that it will be more easy for me to understand how to modify a photo if I know the theories behind photo editing.

Lastly, am I taking this too seriously? should I just trust my eye?

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Jeff

Chris of Arabia

Herding cats since 1988...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Photos OK to edit
Whilst you may not have a version of PS, I think [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-Photoshop-CS2-Photographers-Professional/dp/0240519841/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-6480098-6716732?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1186663958&sr=8-1"]Adobe Photoshop CS2 for Photographers[/ame] by Focal Press covers an awful lot of ground in explaining what you're seeing talked about - it comes with a tutorial CD as well.

Big Mike

I am Big, I am Mike
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.mikehodson.ca
Photos NOT OK to edit
I found THIS site to be of great use when I was trying to figure out the whole 'post processing' thing.

WDodd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I have the book that Chris mentioned and it is definitely a handy tool whether you use photoshop or not.

OP
J

jefflesh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Mike,

thanks for the link, there is a lot of information there. Also, I ordered a few books from Amazon, one is Understanding Exposure and the other is Photoshop for photographers, I think that this will help a lot.

Thanks everyone for your time and your posts.

Sincerely,

Jeff

Most reactions

ClickASnap

New Topics