Photo Editing Program(s)

jefflesh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Currently I am using Canon's Photo Digital Professional and taking my pictures in RAW format. I think that I am starting to understand the exposures settings so my pictures are starting to come out better. My next question is, what theories behind the editing programs. I hear a lot of people talking about adjusting curves, painting on pictures, shadows, stuff like that.

I have played around with some of the sliders until I get pictures to a point where I think they look good, but who am I. Coming from a technical background, I would think that there is some theory to editing photos. If this is the case, can someone recommend a good site, information, book, etc. which explains the theory of photo editing?

For example. Photo shop has a heck of a lot of adjustments that can be made to a photo. The problem is I am not sure when I should use them and which ones I should be using and why. I think that it will be more easy for me to understand how to modify a photo if I know the theories behind photo editing.

Lastly, am I taking this too seriously? should I just trust my eye?

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Jeff

Whilst you may not have a version of PS, I think [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-Photoshop-CS2-Photographers-Professional/dp/0240519841/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-6480098-6716732?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1186663958&sr=8-1"]Adobe Photoshop CS2 for Photographers[/ame] by Focal Press covers an awful lot of ground in explaining what you're seeing talked about - it comes with a tutorial CD as well.

I found THIS site to be of great use when I was trying to figure out the whole 'post processing' thing.

I have the book that Chris mentioned and it is definitely a handy tool whether you use photoshop or not.

Mike,

thanks for the link, there is a lot of information there. Also, I ordered a few books from Amazon, one is Understanding Exposure and the other is Photoshop for photographers, I think that this will help a lot.

Thanks everyone for your time and your posts.

Sincerely,

Jeff

Most reactions

Back