Photo editing software...

I like Lightroom....it is a parametric application, and there are plenty of free online tutorials on YouTube. It has a very useful adjustment brush feature.

For now, get in some hours with PSE for the basics that will prep you for deeper programs like PS and LR. Free plug-in bundles like Nik expand PSE’s editing range.

Post 17 says it all, use the program, tool get to know the limits and what you want
Copy images, and play with the copies, loose nothing if it goes all wrong, try different effects, layers

With a parametric editor, your original is safe...edits are mere instruction sets, and the original image data is unaltered. That 's one reason Lightroom is so awesome...it is a parametric editing application.

Photoshop and Lightroom are two of the best out there and that doesn't cost too much actually. You can get light room for £10.00 a month

Hi. My name is Mike, and I'm fairly new to photography:05.18-flustered:. I was wondering what type of photo editing software I should purchase to start practicing editing my photos. Any tips, advice or recommendations anyone?
1) Luminar 4 - Improved to be even more intuitive, Luminar 4 also brings a ton of brand-new AI editing tools designed to speed up the photo editing workflow.

2) Adobe Lightroom has been the app of choice for professional and amateur photographers alike for many years now. It offers a well-thought-out set of features for managing, organizing, processing, and exporting your photos. With the advanced library features, like labels, keywords, collections, and search filters, the app makes it easy for you to keep track of large numbers of photos. Lightroom comes with a good selection of RAW profiles to define colors in your photos for more precise editing. Tweak your photos to perfection with adjustment sliders, perspective and lens correction tools, retouching tools, filters, profiles, and presets to speed up your workflow.

If you're looking for something that is very capable and doesn't require a subscription (ie: a monthly fee) than look at Affinity Photo. I'm very happy with it.
Amen. It is also very affordable while still being powerful. I use an old version of Photoshop that I own (CS2) along with Affinity. I use photoshop for the simple things and go to Affinity when I need special features not available in an old Photoshop. I have such an aversion to renting software that I refuse to get involved in it.

Another vote here for Affinity.

Lightroom, Photoshop, Affinity Photo, Capture One, Darktable, RawTherapee. If you're just starting out and have no preconceptions, I'd highly recommend Darktable, solely because it's free (as in beer and speech) and really powerful if you take some time to learn more with it.

Cheers, printsbery

Last edited:
Lightroom, Photoshop, Affinity Photo, Capture One, Darktable, RawTherapee. If you're just starting out and have no preconceptions, I'd highly recommend Darktable, solely because it's free (as in beer and speech) and really powerful if you take some time to learn more with it.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I'd never heard of Darktable before. My version of Lightroom is the pre-subscription standalone version 5 and it doesn't recognise newer RAW file so I have to use DNG conversions. This obviously add another couple of hurdles in the workflow. I'm gonna have a look at it, seeing as it's free, nowt to lose.

Space face. Hiya what camera are you using. Canon provide their own raw software.

Space face. Hiya what camera are you using. Canon provide their own raw software.

Thank you.

It's the Canon 5Dsr that Lightroom doesn't recognise the RAW files from.

I'm aware of Canon's own RAW converter but never use it. I have other software such as Affinity and Elements that does recognise the 5Dsr files but as far as I can make out Affinity wont allow a picture library like Lightroom and Elements/PS. I just got kinda used to using Lightroom for the initial PP, transferring them and then keeping and organising them in Elements. If Affinity had this function I'd most likely just use that.

Last edited:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I'd never heard of Darktable before. My version of Lightroom is the pre-subscription standalone version 5 and it doesn't recognise newer RAW file so I have to use DNG conversions. This obviously add another couple of hurdles in the workflow. I'm gonna have a look at it, seeing as it's free, nowt to lose.

DarkTable is excellent software for raw file processing. As an open source product it's got the expected rough edges but they're worth the effort. A high priority for me is a raw workflow that is 100% non-destructive and non-linearly re-editable. You mentioned for example Affinity which in a raw workflow is forced destructive -- show stopper for me.

DarkTable's editing capabilities are impressive and as such tend to support my goal. An edit for example in LR that requires some modestly complicated cloning work will send most LR users off to PS or some other raster editor and that's going to add a destructive element into the edit. Odds are you'd be able to complete the edit in DrakTable.

DarkTable is excellent software for raw file processing. As an open source product it's got the expected rough edges but they're worth the effort. A high priority for me is a raw workflow that is 100% non-destructive and non-linearly re-editable. You mentioned for example Affinity which in a raw workflow is forced destructive -- show stopper for me.

DarkTable's editing capabilities are impressive and as such tend to support my goal. An edit for example in LR that requires some modestly complicated cloning work will send most LR users off to PS or some other raster editor and that's going to add a destructive element into the edit. Odds are you'd be able to complete the edit in DrakTable.

Thank you very much. Yeah, I do jump a lot from LR to PS Elements for the purposes you mention. I'm gonna download Darktable on my PC tonight and give it a go.

Cheers again.;)

Thank you very much. Yeah, I do jump a lot from LR to PS Elements for the purposes you mention.

And when you do that you basically freeze your editing work at the point where you add in the raster layer in Elements. Once that's done you can't return to LR and change something you had done previously. Such a change won't update through the raster edit in Elements. That's the definition of destructive editing. So assuming DarkTable can do the job and doesn't force the jump to Elements you're a step ahead.

Joe

I'm gonna download Darktable on my PC tonight and give it a go.

Cheers again.;)

Most reactions

Back