Photo editing software...

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Michael Cardenas, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Michael Cardenas

Michael Cardenas TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi. My name is Mike, and I'm fairly new to photography:05.18-flustered:. I was wondering what type of photo editing software I should purchase to start practicing editing my photos. Any tips, advice or recommendations anyone?

• Like Like x 1
  2. SquarePeg

SquarePeg hear me roar Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Adobe has a free 30 day trial of Lightroom and Photoshop. It’s a subscription service that you pay around $10 a month for but you always have the latest upgrade. If you’re looking for a one time purchase there are other options topaz labs, affinity photo, capture one… All of them likely have 30 day free trials

if you’re new and just starting out the thing is, a lot of the tutorials are going to be based on Adobe Lightroom. same thing for all the workshops and things like that so it’s your choice but I tried to go the other route and found I had to get back to Adobe because that’s where a lot of the training and available information is based.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. RVT1K

RVT1K No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I use an older version of Photoshop Elements and own the disk, no subscription required.

It is very capable and would more than suit the needs of a beginner.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. JoeW

JoeW Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    If you're looking for something that is very capable and doesn't require a subscription (ie: a monthly fee) than look at Affinity Photo. I'm very happy with it.

5. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What she said!

I'll add to it - Gimp is a freeware that is pretty good, but not a lot of training out there. PaintShop Pro 2020 | Download Your Free Trial is relatively inexpensive, has a 30 day trial, and has some training videos out there. Also, it has a Photoshop feel to it, so if you decide to go to Adobe later, a lot of what you learned in Paintshop applies to PS.

6. Tropicalmemories

Tropicalmemories No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I can't add much to the good info in the earlier posts - but I guess it also depends on what you're using for the editing?

Windows or Apple PC, or Android or Apple tablet? Plus are you planning to edit RAW files, or just make small adjustments to jpegs?

I use an Android tablet with a stylus, and basic Lightroom is free, with a subscription to upgrade.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Don Kondra

Don Kondra Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Almost every program I am aware of offers a 30 day free trial.

If you just want to get your feet wet, FastStone Image Viewer is free !

After processing my raw files into jpeg in Elements, I resize etc. in FastStone.

Cheers, Don

8. mjcmt

mjcmt TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you have a Mac computer use their included 'Photo' software. It's quite detailed and thorough. You can practice your cropping, exposure/contrast editing, color balance/saturations, B&W, retouching, vignetting, and the list goes on. It's intuitive w/ easy to use sliders, but also advanced w/ curves and levels.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  9. Mike Drone

Mike Drone TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There really is an abundance of software in the photography/illustrator world. As said above Gimp is free and currently has an update to make it look like Photoshop. Then there is Photoshop for a subscription price. The yearly price is a good deal. There are many to choose from and none are better than the other but rather what the user has experience with and what you like better as the end user. Try them all out. =]

10. AlanKlein

AlanKlein No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photoshop Elements is very good for a beginner. They also have a companion program call Photoshop Premiere Elements. It's for video. So if you shoot both stills and videos clips, both programs would be very useful. You can combine both stills and videos to create slide shows like this.

11. JBPhotog

JBPhotog No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The first question I’d ask is what kind of editing do you want to do? If it is exposure, white balance, contrast, sharpening and such there is no need to buy anything. Depending on the camera brand, many offer excellent software to edit Raw and JPEG files with a free download license.

Second question is which camera?

12. Original katomi

Original katomi TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit

Re post 3 I have an v9 of PSE and it still does all I need inc 2mtr 2Gb panorama